FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback issues with AVID 8.0?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Fonosch
Playback issues with AVID 8.0?
on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:59:35 am

Hello,

So we just upgraded a bunch of stuff in our offices and am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue.

Previous:
Running 2008/2009 Mac Pro Towers (12gigs ram) through a Nitris DX on an ISIS 2000 and running this way for many seasons and no issues.

This weekend:
Upgraded to ISIS 5500 and 2013 Mac Pro Trashcans with 64gig rams (maxed out on all specs)

Issue:
The issue we are running into is when playing a sequence it will start to drop frames and the timeline will have little red and yellow dashes. The media is all different stuff: XDCam -> AMA'd -> transcoded 10:1 (30i project). Canon 5d 1080 24p Project. We still have 2 2008/2009 towers running (on 8.0.0) and the problem is extremely bad (cannot play more than 10 seconds without going into full chop.) We installed 6.5.4.4 on both systems (2008 and 2013) and the media plays flawless.

Any ideas?

Looks like we will be going to 6.5.4.4 on all systems as its a known working version.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Playback issues with AVID 8.0?
on Aug 14, 2014 at 8:01:21 am

You are aware that Nitris DX is not supported with Thunderbolt adapaters, right?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 14, 2014 at 12:22:41 pm

To give a little more info...what Job says is correct. The Nitris DX is not supported with the new Mac Pro. Dave C from Avid has stated on other forums that it doesn't work reliably and there will NOT be a fix as it is a hardware incompatibility. In your case, it seems to work okay with older MC software, but it may fail with other projects. The Mojo DX, however, is supported with Thuderbolt adapters. If you want to use your Nitris DX, you need to use your old Mac Pros or get an approved PC. Or get a third party I/O device.

Return to posts index

Noah Fonosch
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:24:18 pm

Job and John,

Sorry for the ambiguity of my post. We are only using Nitris DX boxes on the 2008/9 Mac Pros. The 2013 Mac Pro is not using an I/O device. But the playback issue is quite bad on the 2008/9 Mac Pro and noticable but workable on the 2013. Both when running 8.0.0 (also tested 8.1 and same problem.) But again, when 6.5.4.4 installed, both systems play the media fine.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 16, 2014 at 3:43:41 pm

I'd make sure you have the right software running in your ISIS for MC 8.1. Sounds like your throughout is too low when using MC 8.x. Remember, you get tech support with your MC 8 licenses and you can call Avid to help you with this. Network issues can be tougher to troubleshoot than local storage. More variables.

Return to posts index

Ulrich Thomsen
on Nov 2, 2014 at 7:41:06 am

for what it's worth I have same problems with my Mac Pro, Late 2013 running AVID 8.

8.2 is a little better but for my part AVID 7.04 runs great. It loads the project fast ( id' say 8 loads 20 times slower) 7,04 responds well. No dropped frames . No "yellow" marks on timeline. No delay when hitting playback (like 1 to 2 seconds, sometimes on 8)
I found that activating Symphony makes everything as to realtime response on 8.2 worse...

one thing that improved playback somewhat was use Open GL software in the DVE setting (video display setting)

I'm writing to AVID and have a case going -- slow response there too :-(

I'll update things as the answers comes in .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]