FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems importing .MOV into Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Arellano
Problems importing .MOV into Avid
on Aug 13, 2014 at 5:06:01 pm

Hi,

I am trying to import .MOV files into Avid. They used 1920 × 1080 Apple ProRes 422, Linear PCM, Timecode. HD (1-1-1).

Now I can't even open the mov files in quicktime it just says: QuickTime Player can't open "1.mov" and Avid can't import it or Link To AMA because it says it can't find the file but the file is 139.5MB so there is information on it.

There might be something wrong with downloading the files from Transfer Big Files service which they use to send them to me?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problems importing .MOV into Avid
on Aug 13, 2014 at 5:39:22 pm

Yes. The file you were given is what is called a "reference Quicktime." It is a file that isn't a self contained file. And by that I mean it's a file that points to existing media located ELSEWHERE. Thus why you can't open it...it cannot find the media it is referencing.

With FCP you can export two types of files...self contained that is just that, a fully separate QT movie of the sequence exported. Then there's a Reference QT that's much smaller in file size, because it isn't self contained...it merely points to the media used in the sequence. It is like a clip in editing software...it points to the media on the media drive.

Whoever gave you this needs to re-export and make the file SELF CONTAINED.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Francisco Arellano
on Aug 13, 2014 at 7:15:17 pm

Thank you very much Shane that makes a lot of sense.

Do you know why I can open it in MPlayerX then? In it I can hear the audio but I do not see any video or screen or anything. Could be the reason you mentioned been a small file and some of the audio is in the file but not the complete information.

I really appreciate it.

I will ask for the new file and see what happens.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 13, 2014 at 7:33:24 pm

[Francisco Arellano] "Do you know why I can open it in MPlayerX then? In it I can hear the audio but I do not see any video or screen or anything."

Well then you really can't open it. Reference QTs will include any renders that need to be done at the time of export...perhaps the audio needed to be rendered. But it isn't working because you can't see video.

[Francisco Arellano] "Could be the reason you mentioned been a small file and some of the audio is in the file but not the complete information."

Correct.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Francisco Arellano
on Aug 13, 2014 at 7:36:31 pm

Thanks again.

Hopefully they can send the right files soon.

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]