FORUMS: list search recent posts

HSL Luma Ranges incorrect for removing colour casts on most video in Avid Symphony?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lansdell
HSL Luma Ranges incorrect for removing colour casts on most video in Avid Symphony?
on Aug 13, 2014 at 1:16:21 pm

I'm probably opening myself up to a lot of criticism with this, but...

I find the HSL Luma Ranges incorrect for removing colour casts on most video in Avid Symphony. I don't normally do colour correction in it, most programmes I do colour correction on when staying within the NLE are still cut in FCP 7, or if it gets a dedicated grade I'd do my colour correction in Baselight. The video grade in Baselight (which I use for 90% of the work) is very similar to FCPs 3 Way CC, and so going between the two is very intuitive. But the HSL wheels in Avid respond in a similar way to the Film Grade in Baselight, and it just ain't right for most footage. The curves in Symphony are better, but a colour wheel is a much more intuitive way of doing colour correction. And I've a Euphonix Panel on my Symphony and it works with the HSL corrections not the curves, and I'd like to use it (no Blackboard, but you take what you get!).

So, I know I can adjust the luma ranges in the graph for the HSL, but I can't find a way to save the adjustment to use again (or ideally set as the default luma ranges). Doing it for each shot in an hour long programme isn't practical.

Also (and I probably shoud know this, but I don't...) I'm not overly sure what the correct curve should be, other than a slightly stretched 'S' shape on a lean...

I'm not as Symphony literate as I am with other bits of software, so hopefully what I'm missing is so obvious that it explains why I can't find an answer already on these forums or elsewhere online, but any constructive comments would be much appreciated!

Best wishes,

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]