FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to Avid via Automatic Duck- CONFORM ISSUES

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Pilott
FCP to Avid via Automatic Duck- CONFORM ISSUES
on Aug 12, 2014 at 2:09:27 pm

Hi, we just received a FCP 7 project containing an 82-minute docu that we need to convert into an Avid sequence (we are an all-Avid house). The FCP project was edited in 23.98 ProRes HQ (although we appear to have been given a media-managed version of the final sequence), but the majority of the footage was shot in 29.97.

Now, when i export the sequence at 23.98 using Automatic Duck, the software wants to conform all of the clips to 23.98, which means slowing down anything that's at 29.97. When i bring it into the Avid, vast swathes of the video is slowed down, and obviously the audio is all out of sync.

Is there any way to disable this function? Will it cause massive sync issues when i do?

I also tried the AMA export / relink import method, but only a handful of clips were actually relinking, probably due to the TC discrepancies, or the fact that almost all clips were renamed in the FCP project.

Looking for the quickest way to export cleanly and import into Avid based on the messy FCP project we received. Thanks!

FCP version 7.0.3
Avid MC version 6.5.3
Working on Macbook Pro, OSx 10.8.5

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP to Avid via Automatic Duck- CONFORM ISSUES
on Aug 12, 2014 at 3:34:54 pm

Well, you'll have a lot of cleanup to do...inside FCP. I've had to do this before, more than once.

You'll have to separate out all the differing frame rates. That's the only way to do this properly.

So what I'd do is duplicate the timeline, and then start moving all the non-native (23.98) frame rate footage to upper layers...the top most layer. Once I've separated out everything, I'd duplicate the project again, twice. One will be labelled 2398 and in that delete all the 29.97 footage. The other labelled 2997 and delete all the 23.98 footage. Then do two conversions via Automatic Duck to Avid...and then marry the sequences again inside Media Composer.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Pilott
on Aug 12, 2014 at 3:42:37 pm

Thanks for response. Good idea - will try it out.

One issue though, the vast majority is 2997 on a 2398 timeline. Exporting 2997 footage on a 2398 project is causing the slowdown of footage, and copy-pasting into a new 2997 timeline is causing sync / tc issues. Is there anything I can do to resolve these issues?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 12, 2014 at 4:00:08 pm

AH...right. I forgot to mention that I needed to copy/paste into a new 29.97 timeline. And that causes TONS of gaps and errors. And those need to be fixed manually. And that's a long, time consuming process.

The client messed up when they started this project.

You have a few options here.

1) Have the client fix this by doing the separating and copy/pasting and fixing all the gaps.

2) Do the fixing yourself

3) Export a self contained QT file, import that into Avid...chop all the edit points manually. But then this means that the FCP method of dealing with 29.97 is a 23.98 timeline...which is completely wrong...will be baked in.

4) Finish in FCP (but with all the wrongly interpreted footage.

What I would do is this...explain to the client the issue, and tell them what needs to be done to fix the issue. Offer to fix it, but let the client know that my hourly rate is involved and it might take a while. I'd also suggest that they fix it if they want to save money...explain how they need to fix it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Pilott
on Aug 12, 2014 at 5:09:49 pm

This was my suspicion. Was hoping against hope that there was a quick fix that i was dumbly overlooking.

Looks like i will have to manually fix the sequence clip by clip. If only I was on an hourly rate...

Thanks for your help Shane!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]