FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot export video from a project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Brune
Cannot export video from a project
on Aug 10, 2014 at 2:20:03 pm

I've been editing on AVID for many years but this recent project I've completed will not export for me in any format or form. I'm running Media Composer 6.0.1 on a 2 year old 27" iMac and all my other projects export just fine (no matter what format--whether DV, HDV, .mov/.mp4, 1080, 720, or DNxHD) but this particular project is just over 2 hours long and has both AVCHD and HDV source video in it. I've tried everything I can think of but in order to make a DVD for the client I have to be able to export it or save it in some sort of format and the AVID program crashes every single time--sometimes after chugging away on it for hours. I'm easily on the 20th try and no joy! Any advice, tips, hints? This project seems cursed!

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

John Brune
Re: Cannot export video from a project
on Aug 10, 2014 at 2:56:27 pm

I'm currently exporting the sequence as an M2T file. I was able to get the sequence to open up in an HDV timeline (which I didn't think it could do without a lot of transcoding). Everything is 30p or 29.97 HDV so whatever...! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Any form of this sequence that is able to export will be acceptable. I've tried DNxHD 145 and it crashed the AVID. Losing steam. I hope this works so I can get on with my life!

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 10, 2014 at 3:47:46 pm

have you tried a video mixdown first?

Glenn

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Aug 10, 2014 at 4:31:53 pm

Yes. One of the first things I did. As a footnote I've been successful getting it out as an m2t stream! After almost 6 days of trying to figure this out I have finally gotten output. This hasn't happened with any other project recently or in the past. I don't know if it's because I'm mixing HDV with transcoded MTS footage from my Sony FS-100 (AVCHD) -- which I've done several times before with no issues, or if it's because the final video is over 2 hours long. I cannot come up with any logical reason as to why this happened. I've exported the HDV portions as DNxHD and reimported them to the AVC timeline hoping the AVID would see everything as 'one' format but that didn't work either. Thanks Glenn!!!!!

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Aug 10, 2014 at 9:48:11 pm

Good that you have gotten it out. My typical export is video and audio mixdown of the entire sequence, exporting that as a quicktime reference, and then using a different encoder for the final, which is what I would have recommended.

When you said you tried a mixdown, was it the full sequence or was it just mixdowns to replace certain parts of the footage like you did with the HDV portions? I've found that even one simple edit in a mixdown sequence will make the export from MC far longer and more difficult.

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Aug 11, 2014 at 12:15:31 am

I did a video mixdown of half of it. Early on in my frustration I cut the sequence in half with a fade out/fade in engineered into it and mixed down part one. But it would not work. I have not gotten around to trying it on the full sequence. I will try that now that two of you have mentioned it and see if it works. Thanks so much!

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Clement Hobbs
on Aug 12, 2014 at 10:47:04 pm

When I had problems like this in the past, I would typically try an audio only export - does it work? if so, then a video only export - if this fails then I know it's a video issue. Then split the timeline in two and try either half, or try v1 only, etc. you get the picture. This would often narrow down the problem to a much smaller and reasonable length of timeline where I could find the issue, fix and be on my way.

The mixdown suggestions are perfect as well, but I had to resort to the above method when mixdowns would fail.

Good luck

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Aug 13, 2014 at 11:46:32 pm

Clement--I tried all that with absolute failure at each turn--the AVID app crashed when trying any sort of video export (however the audio export was successful--so it is a video issue. I suspect HDV is the culprit and I am soon eliminating it from my workflow). I haven't tried a video mixdown of entire program. I will try it just to experiment. I was able to export as an HDV file by opening the sequence within a new HDV project (which makes no sense to me without lots of transcoding) but it worked and I have produced a DVD already. m2t files have never let me down. Thanks so much for your advice!!

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]