FORUMS: list search recent posts

Easiest way to copy project?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
daniel persson
Easiest way to copy project?
on Aug 7, 2014 at 11:54:56 am

So basically I want to be able to bring home my work to edit in the weekend instead of having to use unnecessary time to travel to work. What is the best or easiest way to achieve this? I wanna be able to easily import sequences I have worked on back into work hard drives.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Easiest way to copy project?
on Aug 7, 2014 at 12:47:45 pm

Make a special transfer bin, put sequences (or copies) into that bin and replace the bin when back at work, or create a new bin at home and import/copy that bin into the project back at work. If you create renders, or new media at home, you must copy those files into your Avid MediaFiles\MXF\# folder at work. You can create a new numbered folder for this if you want to keep them separate.

Ricky

Return to posts index

daniel persson
on Aug 7, 2014 at 1:55:52 pm

But how do I copy all the files? consolidate?

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:17:59 pm

Ahh, I assumed you already had everything, including media at home. It might get messy if you consolidate, chance on not having all media at your disposal. There are many ways to accomplish what you want to do and someone more knowledgeable than me could probably be more helpful.

If it were that necessary for me and I was editing for extended periods away from work, I would bite the bullet and copy the project and all media to take with me. Upon returning to work i would replace the entire project file (very small file size) and I would only copy the new media created at home (based on dates) from my home drive back to my work media drive.

As I said, others may know a better way.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:21:10 pm

And if money is no option there is the new "Avid Everywhere" - I know nothing about this other than it exists now.

Ricky

Return to posts index

daniel persson
on Aug 7, 2014 at 3:15:47 pm

Allright thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 9, 2014 at 3:52:15 pm

I keep my avid projects on my drop box account.

Open them up from any Avid i am sitting in front of.

Media wise, you have to be more organized. Keep your media on external drives, or keep the folders separated for each projects media, and then constantly copy the files around.

I just finished up a series of 30 second spots, they were pretty small from a media standpoint, but i started them at home, was at the office one day when a change came in, so i plugged in the drive and did the change, then i was on the road for a job when another change came in...plugged in the drive while sitting in my hotel room and did the change. Because all the project files are on dropbox, i'm actually opening the same project from each computer i sit at, so i don't have to worry about which computer has the latest version...they all do. I've been working this way for about 3 years now.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Aug 9, 2014 at 5:17:20 pm

This is more or less what I do on a semi-regular basis between my workstation and laptop. Though how well you have your media organized (both Avid Media Folder as well as AMA linked media) can make this relatively simple or a complete chore. I try to keep the subfolders of the Avid Media Folder separate for different projects, which means I only need copy that one folder. Though as of late, all of my media has been on externals and taking the external is not prohibitively difficult, so I just do that (of course everything is backed up).

Actually I've been archiving old seasons on external drives and I don't need to do much more than plug in the appropriate drive and that season's timelines are back online.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]