FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL Breakdown.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariel Spalter
EDL Breakdown.
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:16:20 pm

Hello everybody, this is my first post here. My situation goes like that:
The post production manager I work with needs to fill out a music sheet summarizing the total usage of music for royalties clearance. He needs the following info: track name (appears as the clip name), total duration of each track and the sequence T.C (.i.e, where it was heard along the episode). currently he's been doing that the old fashioned way of jumping cut by cut, selecting IN-OUT, typing the duration in the calculator and fill the seq T.C in his sheet. Now, that's the catch: Media Composer's Bin doesn't have a seq T.C column, only source T.C, so it can not be done within Media Composer. What I'm looking for is basically an application that can break an EDL file down to its components and summing the durations of each file NAME (appearing in sequence multiple times), so ultimately I'll end up with a sheet containing the total duration for each file name and where it was located in the sequence.

I'd be glad for any clue, and if there is a hidden way of doing that within MC it'd be even better.

Many thanks,
Ariel

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: EDL Breakdown.
on Aug 7, 2014 at 1:35:32 am

You could try the following:

Subsequence out just the music elements to a new bin
This will now show sequence TC for START END and DURATION
Select all sequences and do a get bin info which should total up the duration.

Or, in the future, use the AMA plug-in and AAF reporting app I developed just for this issue/workflow and can be seen here with a demo video:

http://www.mus-id.com

You do have to bring the songs in via the plug-in to start in order for the reporting app to know which elements are songs.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ariel Spalter
on Aug 7, 2014 at 5:22:24 pm
Last Edited By Ariel Spalter on Aug 7, 2014 at 5:41:58 pm

Hi Michael,
Thanks you very much for your comment.how haven't I thought of such a simple way of doing that? I've watched the vid in the link and that's just BRILLIANT. Is it available for purchasing at the moment (you've mentioned "in the future..").

EDIT: The way of doing that inside Avid won't work unfortunately because subsequence won't retain the clip names (.i.e the track name), and autosyncing it will turn back to the source T.C instead of the sequence T.C. oh, well... I just saw your that the app is available at your site. just a couple of questions: does it work only along with the AMA plugin or it can be used separately? and, can it sum duration of multiple clips (if I want to select a bunch of clips derived from the same master clip)?

Thanks again,
Ariel

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 7, 2014 at 5:36:51 pm

Please buy it NOW, baby needs shoes!

:)

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 7, 2014 at 6:53:12 pm

This specifically mentions MP3 and M4A. But what about audio that's AIFF, WAV, BWAV? The normal GOOD file types?

And what's your twitter handle so I can tweet out this app, and link you...?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ariel Spalter
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:04:51 pm

BTW, I just figured out that the reporting app will work only for the AMA clips. That's too bad. I really think that you should consider making this app so it would be able to handle all sort of media, including visuals like Image Bank and the like. Enabling that plus summing durations of clips with identical names and/or any selected clips and you could charge 50$ for a comprehensive solution for that frustrating chore. If something like that was in existence, I would buy it right away.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:17:47 pm

I can only do what the AMA license from Avid allows me to do. Avid has a marketplace for stock footage already so they want/will be handling that as part of their Avid Everywhere vision.

Also, I have to use AMA as it is one of the few methods by which third parties can intercept/parse, inject metadata when linking to media that works at the Media Composer only level.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:22:21 pm

WAVE does not store ID3 metadata- there is an ID3 blob in AIFF files that we are looking into. Also, Avid has a BWF/iXML AMA plug-in that in theory would parse that for those file formats.

The workaorund for these files types is extracting the metadata from the AME linked file, consolidate, and reimport higher quality file as a batch import. I will be testing this and writing something up.

I don't really have a twitter account... I know, I know, I should.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:27:20 pm

All we need is source name and TC IN and TC OUT for music cue. Can't you make something like that? There's a great app for FCP/Premiere Pro called SEQUENCE CLIP REPORTER that uses XML and organizes it VERY neatly. A godsend for those who stare at complicated EDLs. Avid needs something like that. Perhaps via AAF.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ariel Spalter
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:42:16 pm

Thank God, Shane , you took the words out of my keyboard. All the info required is part of AAF already: Source T.C IN-OUT, Sequence T.C IN-OUT, Clip Names. That's it. The reporter should be able to let you handle this information in different ways (some of them I mentioned just a couple of posts earlier). I can assure you- such a solution will save tons of time and people will not hesitate to buy it even if it costs 50$.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 7, 2014 at 7:45:12 pm

We use SEQUENCE CLIP REPORTER in PPro and FCP for this very reason. WELL WORTH the $99. And every Producer I show that to snaps it up in a heartbeat.

I've even gone as far as to use Automatic Duck to convert Avid sequences to FCP (no media needed) simply to do this report. I do that quite often, actually.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 7, 2014 at 8:12:33 pm

Certainly something can be done as a full-on reporting application, but that is a lot more work addressing the smaller end of the market "seat count wise" and one needs to look at ROI. I am sure you've already noticed that not all plug-ins are available for MC as for other NLE's... :)

One could consider an easy XSLT file from the XML generated by FilmScribe, but that is not well maintained by Avid, does not work with AMA clips that have any kind of transform as they are considered an "optical" and can no longer be tracked.

The mus.ID works based on the fact that the clip is tagged as a music file when AMA linked so parsing the AAF is fairly easy. I could also let it see all .mov type extensions to flag whatever, but would be compromising the AMA agreement. But a full on, generic reporting app is a lot more work as AAF is not the easiest format to deal with. Also not a long term business seeing as Wes no longer develops Automatic Duck, and that was two resources for several years.

As I mentioned, getting an AMA license from Avid does not give you the freedom to do whatever you like - I could easily do a stock footage tagging app using the same model, but I am not allowed to as I had to be very specific as to what my AMA plug-in was going to do. If Avid is planning on developing a similar solution, you will not get the license, or under very defined (limited) use.

Now AAF for the most part is open, and I have thought about recreating a combined EDL Manager/FilmScribe/reporting application and even had one designed for Avid when I was there. To me, right now, it is not worth the effort. There's always the "rumors"about Avid updating what they have. But I have some ideas on how the reporting app might be able to do something, but the price would change.

This plug-in was quick to make, and useful, and if it generates some money, great. Avid does not do a whole lot to promote it, it has been very difficult to get Avid to add it their AMA page despite multiple requests. Kinda funny since Avid used it as part of their NAB main stage demo this year. Maybe once they get Marketplace 2.0 in place there will be additional value in developing. But for small one/two person shops, an Avid only plug-in is not going to feed you. Adobe reached out to me when they saw it and am looking into a version for them.

Michael

Return to posts index

Greg Cohan
on Aug 9, 2014 at 2:14:53 am

Shane... I'm testing the music ID now. AMA ing and transcoding all the MP3 from the entire Music Collective Library. It's pretty nifty to have all the medadata. Grab me on Monday and I'll show you what I have managed to get in so far. I'm not to concerned about mp3 quality verse Wave BWF. For what we do by the time its mixed compressed sent to satellite and broadcast. No one will here the difference.

I talked directly to the guys that do the sequence clip reports for FCpro and begged them to make an avid version but they just are not going to do it.

One work around I found was
Export AAF. Bring AAF into Catdv pegasus and you can print a report from there. But the downside with all those workflows - autoducking into Final Cut...AAF to resolve is 3rd party's recognizing the effects we use

:-(

Sometime before I retire someone with programming skills will understand that the need to report footage usage is broadcast wide for anything that airs.

I know the concern is who will pay but If I'm the money bags and I usually am I would rather an AE print a report in ten minutes then a AP spend weeks making them.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:50:00 am

Hey boss!

Yeah, I've tried getting those guys to make an Avid version, but they say the market is too small. They did gangbusters (and still do) with the FCP version. I helped steer it to what it is today, and every AP I told about it squealed with glee when they saw it.

I'd love to see what we are doing now. I've been so out of the loop of this stuff lately.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 9, 2014 at 7:11:33 pm

I don't know if you've looked into it, and they have a demo version available, is BeaTunes (http://www.beatunes.com) that is originally designed for DJ's and the like, but the ability to insert tags, mood, description and BPM is also very handy to have on the library assets when later searching in Media Composer. We are looking into supporting the color and span based sectioning of the songs that is now part of their v4 release.

And on OS X, I use GetLyrical, a free app for inserting lyrics by selection. This also gets parsed to the extent of what the bin allows to be loaded (128 characters).

If the FIND feature ever gets updated for range finding, then BPM and other numerically based metadata becomes even easier to find.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]