FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding an image over a video

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bethany Squires
adding an image over a video
on Aug 6, 2014 at 12:20:31 am

I have some illustrator files that need to go over a video, but when i add a new video track and add it on i can't extend the length and it doesn't show over the video and if i try add in and outs and transfer it to the timeline it goes on the wrong video track and goes before the video instead of over it.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Beth

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: adding an image over a video
on Aug 6, 2014 at 1:06:24 am

OK, if you come from an editing background where you used FCP or Premiere Pro or...something not Avid...then you need to know something about Avid.

When Avid imports stills...it converts them to video media files. If you are running a 1080 project, the stills are then converted to 1920x1080 72dpi...no matter what your source size is. And if it contained an alpha channel, well, you need to import it in a special way to get that...but it will still only be 1920x1080.

If you are OK with the dimensions, then you need to apply a filter in order to see it supered on top of your video. A "Picture in Picture," or "3D Warp" effect, and then open the effect in the EFFECT MODE to adjust size and position.

If you want to see the full dimensions of the still, then you need to use the Avid PAN & ZOOM plugin...that requires you to link the clip to the original source (there's a way to do this in the EFFECT MODE) and THEN it will be full size, and you can do moves and whatever. But then to super this you still need to add PiP or 3D Warp.

The duration of the still imports default to 30 seconds. If you want it to be longer, go into the SETTINGS, click on IMPORT SETTINGS, and change the duration on IMAGE..

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bethany Squires
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:03:13 pm

hi, i can't find the import settings and also when i put it over my video it doesn't show up, its really small cause the length is small on import but when i put my mouse to that part of the timeline it doesn't show

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:35:31 pm

Are you monitoring that layer? Make sure the monitor selector is on the right track...should be on the top most one...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bethany Squires
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:04:31 pm

i tried that, if i do that on mine it only shows the image it won't show the video underneath

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:12:03 pm

Did you use the effects I told you about? Picture in Picture? 3D Warp? Avid isn't like Premiere or FCP...you can't just drop a picture on a top layer and be able to see what's underneath. You need to use effects for this.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bethany Squires
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:20:01 pm

just been looking for effects have you got a screen shot? and also can't find the import options to lengthen the image duration

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:31:10 pm

Avid Import Settings are here:

The effects can be found in the EFFECTS tab under the BLEND catagory:

Tutorial for applying Picture in Picture:

Tutorial for 3D Warp:

http://avidtips.in/avid-media-composer-3d-warp-effect/

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bethany Squires
on Aug 7, 2014 at 11:33:40 pm

i don't know why but its not working, i can't extend it even by changing import setting and i added warp but it still shows as full picture over the video

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 7, 2014 at 11:39:18 pm

Are you forcing me to make a custom tutorial? I think you are....

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:04:35 pm

Are you asking for this to be a supered graphic, or a second picture on the screen. Are you looking for a keyed image...like a network bug, or a company logo, odd shape, that is keyed over a background image, or are you looking for a square shaped image more like a second video screen, in the corner of your main video screen?

I got the impression from your first post you were looking to key a graphic, in which case my first question is Have you prepared the graphic to be keyable? Does the graphic have alpha channel information? Are your import settings telling it to retain the alpha channel?

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]