FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to understand the Avid to Resolve double roundtrip

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Barnett
Trying to understand the Avid to Resolve double roundtrip
on Aug 6, 2014 at 12:03:03 am

Here's the workflow I've been told to do:

1) Load in all my red files into resolve 10 and transcode to .MXF's (DNxHD 36)
2) Import AAF file made from resolve into Avid
3) After organizing all my footage in bins I want to then rename the file names of each clip in it's column (per directors request) but keep the red file names in a custom column for reference
4) Once Edit is all done we will then rename the files back to original red file names and export AAF for resolve (I would think to do this step to insure Resolve relinks the media back to the hi-res footage correctly)
5) Import AAF in Resolve and do all CC
6) Export back out the CC timeline to then bring back into Avid for delivery

Here are my questions:

1) If we rename the file names in the Avid bins columns will it break any sort of link to the original red files when we bring it back in resolve?
2) How exactly does resolve and avid talk to each other as far as recognizing the "link" between the two programs? Meaning, does is it look at the Tape name? The file path? the file name? It is through the AAF?

I just want to make sure we are not breaking any path between the two programs by messing with the File names.

andreajbarnett.com

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Trying to understand the Avid to Resolve double roundtrip
on Aug 6, 2014 at 11:06:54 am

AFAIK, Avid looks at 3 parameters to relink: Tape name, Timecode, and File Name

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 6, 2014 at 12:57:31 pm

You will want to make sure in Resolve when making DNxHD that you set REEL to be the filename. I have seen far too many productions just drop files in and transcode leaving REEL blank which will F up the whole process. You can verify in MC what was done by displaying "Tape" in the bin and ensuring that the value there is either the shorted 8 character (IF Resolve is set to use embedded) or the entire filename (If Resolve is set to use "clip Name).

If that is correctly done, you can change the Name column to whatever you want as it has no bearing on conform as Bill mentioned; it will either use Tape, Source File, and timecode START-END for the conform.

The difference between Tape and Source File is that all third party systems can only create metadata in Tape and only Media Composer uses Source File when importing or AMA linking. The two are interchangeable in workflows though.

Michael

Return to posts index

Andrea Barnett
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:22:33 pm

OK great, thank you guys for your help!

I'm going to do a little test with renaming the name columns and make sure they have been setting tape names from when they are transcoding in resolve, hopefully all goes well. I will be back if other wise!

Thanks again!

andreajbarnett.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]