FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Rez

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Hess
Import Rez
on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:34:39 pm

I have 1080 footage provided to me in ProRes 422 HQ and some H264.
What is best import setting for playback and working with some keying?

Avid is giving me a choice of ProRes and DNxHD.
I have an i5 iMac maxed with 16GB RAM, but getting stuttering using ProRes.
I am guessing DNxHD as it is Avid native, but leave this to the experts.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Import Rez
on Aug 2, 2014 at 9:25:21 am

Avid really likes Avid codecs....DNxHD. And the x codecs are 10 bit. 175x, 220x. But Avid also is fine with ProRes...as long as you consolidate and re-wrap as MXF. Just AMA the QT is not quite enough...playback will be slow. But as MXF, it should be fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Aug 2, 2014 at 3:26:43 pm

Yes, try importing the prores, and tell it to keep the source resolution. This will give you a fast import. If it is still sluggish, perhaps your drives are fast enough.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Chip Hess
on Aug 2, 2014 at 5:18:21 pm

My import settings are at DNxHD 115 MXF right now, I have never really had to play with consolidating.
The different DNx flavors - 36 through 174 in my drop down menu - are at this juncture Greek to me.
I don't know that 10 bit is essential unless I am shooting myself in the foot on the keys.
There is also a J2K option I have no familiarity with.

My main concerns now are playback and pulling the keys decently. This is not for broadcast or film output,
just needs to pass basic visual muster. I suppose I could knock everything down to 720 if that will improve timeline playback.

All material resides on the one media drive, that is a 7200rpm FW800 drive, if that helps on making final decisions.
Render settings are same as import, however I see Same as Source is checked. Looking at file info, it shows
last clip imported as DNxHD 444 350X, which is not shown as an option in drop down menu.
I suppose that same as source could be overriding my 115 setting, is it better to stay with native resolution
or change to 115?

I also have some motion graphic files provided which were done at 24p, unlike the majority shot at 29.97.
Is mixing these in timeline an issue, I wonder?

Lotsa questions here, but I wanted to provide as much info up front as possible
to keep from wasting you guys' time.

Thanks and I look forward to input!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 2, 2014 at 6:10:00 pm

What is your project setting?

Mixing frame rates is not normally a problem with Avid, but if you are having performance issues, you can transcode to your project frame rate on ingest.

I would AMA link to the files and then transcode everything to Avid DNX HD. In a 29.97 fps project (1080i 59.94) you can use DNX 145, 220 or 220x. Most of the broadcast work I do is at 145. If your system can handle 220 (it sounds like it might have problems), then go for it.

I would prefer using AMA and then transcoding, rather than importing. This usually alleviates any issues with color shifts that occur using legacy importing, which are caused by the ancient QuickTime components.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]