FORUMS: list search recent posts

making subclips from sync sequence

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter Smet
making subclips from sync sequence
on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:29:37 am

I have a small workflow issue.

At the moment I'm editing with alexa footage and external sound. Everything is synced in sequences and it works well. But sometimes (when a scene is more complicated) I like to have subclips of all the different shots and takes. In subclips I can add comments and I can mark bad and good takes, so I don't have to scrub true the whole sequence every time I am looking for something.

Is there an easy way to make subclips from the sequence with all the rushes?

What I have tried so far:
• making a subsequence (shot by shot), but then when I want to make subclips, it keeps making subsequences.
• auto sync the subsequences is not possible because I have color adapters is the source settings.

All help is welcome.

Thanks,

P.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: making subclips from sync sequence
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:14:54 pm

Sorry, you can only make sub-sequences of sequences. But you can always load them into the Preview monitor and treat it exactly like a clip. But you need to drag it there, not double-click.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 28, 2014 at 6:54:53 pm

Was there not common timecode to sync from to start with? Why the need to make a sequnce and sync? If common timecode, select all the clips and in one operation sync on common timecode. Doing it that way allows for color or frameflex to be used. If if not common timecode, Mark an IN on other V and A clips and sync pair by pair will allow you to sync as well.

Starting from a sequence brings different limitations. See my blog at:
http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=163

Michael

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:36:25 am

Shane, actually you can usually perform an AutoSync on subsequences, and they can then become SyncClips – provided there is no more than one V-track, and there are no edits in any of the tracks in the subsequence.

The issue is that this doesn't work when FrameFlex kicks in.

Return to posts index

Pieter Smet
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:59:59 am

@ Michael: I know you can sync that way, but I came in after the syncing was done. I was hoping there was a way around the frame flex problem, but apparently not.

Just an other question. When you auto sync clips by TC, the synced clip always gets the name of the video file. Is it possible to give it the name of the audio file? That file often has a name that refers to the scene, shot and take.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 29, 2014 at 11:42:51 am

Naming form audio file has been a long time request, but there is a workaround for it that is not too painful:

1. Before syncing, highlight "Name" column for BWF imported files which have the Scene/Take info.
2. Created a customer column like "Name2" and duplicate entire "Name" column into it. (cmd-D or ctrl-D depending on OS)
3. Sync clips in bin via AutoSync.
4. Move .sync clips to their own bin, highlight "Name2" column and duplciate back into "Name" column.
5. Done.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]