FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer 7 AMA Relink Question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Skrobowski
Media Composer 7 AMA Relink Question
on Jul 22, 2014 at 6:33:29 pm

Hi, I'm a student and a relatively new Media Composer 7 user. So, please excuse my ignorance. I have a question.

I know that Media Composer 7 includes a background transcode feature. Suppose that I wanted to Link to an AMA volume, start editing with the AMA clips such that I create a sequence using those clips, all the while MC is background transcoding the AMA clips into something like DNxHD 36.

My Question:

Is it possible to, once MC completes background transcoding the AMA clips, substitute the newly transcoded DNxHD 36 clips into the sequence that was initially constructed with the AMA clips in order to improve the program's performance? ...sorta' like setting a proxy...but only in reverse.

I'm asking this because I've watched several tutorials and read articles that seem to explain part of my question, but none of them have really addressed it fully.

If this is possible, could someone please explain how to do it.

All tips are appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Media Composer 7 AMA Relink Question
on Jul 23, 2014 at 8:08:16 am

Yes easy. You select the sequence and choose relink and in the bottom section specify the resolution to relink to.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:56:45 am
Last Edited By Daniel Skrobowski on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:57:51 am

Thanks for the reply, Pat. I guess I'm a little confused about what Kevin P. McAuliffe is saying in this video. Would someone mind reconciling their answer with what Kevin is saying?

...starting at about 14:18.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 24, 2014 at 6:47:19 am

The video won't play for me just keep buffering.
But all I can add is that yes you can do exactly what you proposed.
You AMA link your footage. You set off background transcodes.
You start to cut with the AMA sources. When the transcodes are done you select the sequence and choose re-link. In the relink dialogue select at the bottom the Avid resolution you used to make the transcoded clips with and relink.
You will get a copy of the sequence (if you ticked that box) linked to the transcoded media and the original sequence still linked to the AMA sources.
If you need to you can still cut in AMA fresh sources and at the end of the session transcode the sequence choosing AMA only and any AMA clips will be transcoded direct in the timeline making .new master clips in the bin.
This is a very standard and robust workflow.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Oct 3, 2014 at 12:13:23 pm

"harumph"
I keep forgetting that I can select "AMA only" when I do this. I've gotten so used to Transcoding ahead of time that i don't do it often enough. Just helped when I wanted to send a linked AAF project over to ProTools and the audio was stuck in a MOV file that Pro Tools wasn't in love with.
Thanks

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]