FORUMS: list search recent posts

Messy Upgrade Process Questions

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Skrobowski
Messy Upgrade Process Questions
on Jul 20, 2014 at 6:04:02 am

Hello, I'm a Media Composer user, and I've got a few questions.

MY SITUATION:

My main editing machine was stolen. I didn't have any images of the boot drive (I know...bad move.). I'm a student using Media Composer; a few years ago, I purchased a bundle which included MC 5.5, Sorenson Squeeze, EDL Manager, Avid DVD, Avid FX, several third party software packages, and, most importantly, "4 years of free upgrades." I'm trying to restore my editing capabilities on a new machine.

MY FIRST QUESTION:

To which versions of the main 5 software elements (MC, Sorenson Squeeze, etc.) can I upgrade while maintaining cross-compatibility across those five...? I know that such things as Avid DVD and Avid FX are not bundled with MC 8. This is creating some confusion. Would MC 8 not work with the latest patches of Avid FX and Avid DVD that are in the download center?

MY SECOND QUESTION:

Can I simply download the latest versions of those core programs from the Avid download center and install them that way? Or do I have to first install them with my original set of discs which contain MC 5.5, etc. and then go through a long update process...?

All advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Messy Upgrade Process Questions
on Jul 20, 2014 at 4:53:13 pm

Your older versions of Avid DVD will probably work. Never used the program, but I believe its a self contained program, so the version of Avid you are running should be irrelevant. Same with most of the other software. Avid FX still came with MC7 but you have to request that license separately. Not sure if it would be considered dead... I don't use Avid FX, and haven't even tried to instal it on the box that i am running 8 on. There aren't any real differences between 7 and 8 anyway, so if you need that program, stick with 7 for now.

How far can you upgrade depends on when "a few years ago" was. If your 4 years of upgrads ran out 1 year ago, than you can probably go to MC 7. You have to go to the licence page on the avid website and look around for the upgrades area. From there you can request a license upgrade. It will ask you for your original System id and serial number, and will notify you if your upgrade request is valid.

You do not have to install 5.5, then 6., then 6.5, then 7...you can jump to what ever version you want, once your upgraded license has been email to you. Every install of avid is based on uninstalling old version anyway, so there is no benefit to working your way up the ladder. My guess is, based on the timing of when that 4 years of upgrades started, you are eligible for a MC 6.5 or 7 license.

Just download 7, install it and see how far you get. Nobody is going to come crashing through your door because you aren't eligible for a free upgrade. If you have to roll back to 6.5, then, roll back. The sequences you've built in the past will all open with pretty much any version. You may have some effects that have changed, but your timelines will open.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Jul 22, 2014 at 6:19:03 pm

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for you prompt reply.

I still have a year left in my four-year upgrade period.

I will check online for the license upgrade feature.

Please let me know if you have any other tips.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Marianna Montague
on Jul 21, 2014 at 1:28:30 pm

Daniel

I can help..... send me an email directly - include your system ID and dongle serial # or activation ID. I will need to retire the license and issue a new one and make sure that our systems reflect that this was stolen so whoever did it can't try and use it.

Marianna.Montague@avid.com

HTH
marianna

p.s. thanks Michael P for sending this over to me

Marianna Montague
marianna.montgue@avid.com
813-493-6800

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Jul 22, 2014 at 6:20:45 pm

Thanks so much Marianna,

I will send that information to your Avid e-mail account as soon as I get it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]