FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using ExFat external drive and AMA to transfer feature from old Mac (FCP5) to less old PC (Media Composer 5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cammie Noel
Using ExFat external drive and AMA to transfer feature from old Mac (FCP5) to less old PC (Media Composer 5
on Jul 16, 2014 at 6:36:14 pm

I have been wrestling with this for 3 years. Trying to finish my 1 hour documentary in AVID media composer 5. Film was edited in FCP 5 on a G5 Power PC . I now need to finish it and the Mac is not a viable option now. Would it work to take original movie with all of the files and put it on an exFAT formatted drive then use AMA in Med1a composer 5 on PC (Windows 7 64 bit.?)
Tried before with Automatic duck without success.
I have no budget to get another computer right now.
Thanks very much for your thoughts/ideas on this.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Using ExFat external drive and AMA to transfer feature from old Mac (FCP5) to less old PC (Media Composer 5
on Jul 16, 2014 at 6:45:53 pm

Are you referring to original camera files/tapes or Avid media and copy it over? If the latter, AMA does not come into play.

exFAT makes for a nice shuttle drive between OS's, but people have run into issues using it as an actual media drive during editorial. If using exFAT, then copy from Mac, then onto another drive on the PC. Or, you can do HFS on the Mac, and get a 5 day trial of MacDrive from MediaFour and copy it all off to an NTFS drive on the PC:
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Then copy Avid project from the Projects folder and add it to same shared projects on the PC. Just make sure that the Avid MediaFiles and OMFI MediaFiles (if used) folders are at the root level of whatever drive is being used.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]