FORUMS: list search recent posts

Baselight plug-in for AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Nuget
Baselight plug-in for AVID
on Jul 14, 2014 at 4:08:02 pm

OK so I have been playing around with this plug-in now for a couple months, and while I love the grading ability of Baselight and of course the fact that I don’t have to leave my AVID system, there are a few major things that keep me from using this plug-in more.

As we are aware, we will automatically lose any clip grouping or association, making it more of a "segment" mode workflow, which definitely hurts after being accustomed to the AVID's clip association. Though this is not preferable, it is acceptable considering the color grading ability you get from working in Baselight.

But one thing that is not acceptable, to me at least, is the ability to see which BL effects you throw on clips, have already been colored. As in AVID when you get that nice green real-time line, you know you are done with a clip/section.

I personally jump around my timeline all the time to grade certain scenes that a show might jump back to, or has the same general look. Within Symphony color, I can easily then skip these sections when moving onto something else.

Being that the BL plug-in is on each clip, I’ve alluded to creating a new layer and basically laying a BL effect across then cutting it up so each individual clip has an effect, which works fine, kind of like working with a mixdown or imported clip. And yes I realize I can throw this effect straight on the clip, but with so many other effects on clips these days, I’d hate to bury other effects.

But the problem is that once you step into the BL effect, do your color, then step back to the timeline, you have no idea which clips have or have not been colored.

Anyone have any insight to this, or heard if Filmlight will be addressing this? Or even have a better workflow to try?

Mike Nuget
Senior Finishing Editor/Colorist
Tehcnicolor|Postworks NY

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Baselight plug-in for AVID
on Jul 14, 2014 at 5:29:26 pm

It remains to be seen whether this is a Baselight issue, or have they exhausted what is possible via the AVX architecture they have to work with?

All the metadata for clip relationship in my opinion should be applied to all AVX effects and not just part of Avid Symphony color correction. That becomes a platform play for all third parties to have something to build on and take advantage of within their own solutions.

But that gets another discussion going as to how long should Avid hang on to the AVX plug-in architecture versus adopting the more industry standard of OFX? This would allow plug-in manufactures to spend more time on the functionality rather than developing specific plug-ins for Avid which is the only AVX consumer on the market and from a sales perspective, a much smaller market to develop for when compared to systems supporting OFX. And the byproduct is that Avid users would benefit from economies of scale and not pay more for the same effect based on the fact that is is AVX.

Maybe there are plans to do so, maybe or not. Perhaps it's tied into the whole Avid Everywhere vision and the marketplace? We shall see.

Michael

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jul 14, 2014 at 9:21:40 pm

I've been using it for the last couple of months and really like it. Have to use the Avid CCR when under a time crunch.

I agree that it would be good to be able to see where the colour had been done - and they know that relational colour correction is big on the wish list.

Best to email plugin-support@filmlight direct though.

Return to posts index

Mike Nuget
on Jul 14, 2014 at 9:35:45 pm

Yeah unfortunately i have contacted them about the clip associations, and as for now they said that because they have to be an AVX plugin, they won;t be able to change that until AVID lets them. which is basically what Michael Phillips said in the earlier reply.

I emailed them direct about the "done" color effects but haven;t heard back yet.

Mike Nuget
Senior Finishing Editor/Colorist
Tehcnicolor|Postworks NY

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]