FORUMS: list search recent posts

Genarts Sapphire Avid Users

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Magid
Genarts Sapphire Avid Users
on Jul 13, 2014 at 4:13:42 pm

I've been a big fan of Genarts Sapphire plugins since V1 when they replaced our Blue ICE effects. Remember those? To our surprise the software only Sapphire effects rendered much faster than the special hardware accelerated ICE effects. So we were hooked.

There has always been a need to supplement Avid's increasingly awful native effects. For us Sapphire has become a must have. It's actually the simple stuff that makes the biggest difference to us like making a vignette, or PIP or even soft edged wipes. Avid's native method for doing these things produces edge artifacts, banding and other image degradation. Sapphire seems to produce pristine rendered quality.

BUT! I am curious as to how many editors actual use Sapphire. In my travels I rarely see it installed on the systems of other post production firms or corporate clients. And in six months of trying to sell some spare licenses of ours there has been almost zero interest, even on the cheap.

So, are these really as popular as it seems from industry press? Do you use them? If so what effects do you find indispensable? Do other options make more sense?

C.A.Magid
chris_rtvf@yahoo,com
RTVF

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Genarts Sapphire Avid Users
on Jul 14, 2014 at 3:59:40 am
Last Edited By John Pale on Jul 14, 2014 at 4:10:03 am

I do a lot of freelance work in network and cable sports. It seems pretty standard on every system I have worked on. I don't have it on my personal system, but I would rent it, if a job required it. For most jobs I do on my personal system, I can get by with BCC plugins. They are slower, and less intuitive, but I can make it work. They were far less expensive.

I think you may be having trouble selling it because, small to mid range houses may find it too expensive (look at how cheap plug ins are for other NLEs) and the networks and big budget facilities already have it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 14, 2014 at 5:54:31 pm

They are a staple wherever I seem to work. I've used them constantly throughout the years. They are my main go-to plugins. Wish they weren't so darn expensive, though. I cannot really afford them on my own home system FOr that, I rent them as I need.

But they are the main Avid plugin package. People might say BCC or Boris Red (Avid FX), but Sapphire is the best set of plugins for Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Magid
on Jul 16, 2014 at 1:24:30 am

John,

Thanks for your reply.

Just curious, which effects are using most or are the biggest help for the type of work you mentioned?

C.A.M.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 16, 2014 at 4:19:11 am

Film Effect, Various Glows and Lighting effects, Various Blurs, Vignette....S_Layer is good for adding composite modes, TV Damage, Flicker Remove.

Mostly quick stuff for transitions, or to give shots a look. There are many effects in the suite I never go near....just too complicated for the time I usually get to work on stuff. Some others, I only have a vague understanding of what they actually do. The documentation is a little less than clear.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:06:23 am
Last Edited By Job ter Burg on Jul 16, 2014 at 8:07:35 am

I find it pretty messed up that their package is 64% more expensive for Avid users than for users of Scratch or Resolve. I'm not much of an fx user, and I stick to BCC as it seems to do what I need.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:04:36 am

"64% more expensive for Avid users than for users of Scratch or Resolve. I'm not much of an fx user, and I stick to BCC as it seems to do what I need."

Their pricing is totally messed up. Some of their plugins are really head and shoulders above Boris, as far as speed and quality, but not $2000 better, I wish they had smaller packages rather than making you buy the whole suite, too, Many of the filters are niche products, at best. Again, most systems I freelance on have Sapphire, despite the cost.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:44:53 am

We have them at work and they look and work pretty awesome. Though I'd disagree how real time they are.

The worst is the stills management! You have to do a workaround in order to get the stills to show up in an EDL or even show ref clips in a Bin using the Pan and Zoom. It's kind of hell when you get to licensing. Loading the still alone does not show the still name anywhere - anywhere ! The workaround is to put the imported still into the timeline, add 3D Warp to bring opacity to zero, then add Pan and Zoom, change the foreground around, then Load the still and do the still move. It's ridiculous to expect an editor to do this. Almost as ridiculous as the still name not being present when using this effect. Can't stress this enough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]