FORUMS: list search recent posts

I've been editing incorrectly with Avid's AMA feature for years and now I really need advice, please

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cee Bearah
I've been editing incorrectly with Avid's AMA feature for years and now I really need advice, please
on Jul 11, 2014 at 6:36:42 pm

To be honest, I don't know what I'm doing...

Here's the job: A multi-cam edit of a concert (featuring 8 cameras). There will also be a camera that follows the talent 1 day prior to their debut on stage, for documentary style inserts to the final edit. So that's 9 cameras total. All the footage is going to be P2 DVCPROHD.

The turn around for the one hour edit of their performance is due 2 days after I get the footage in my hands.

I literally have no idea what is the correct workflow is in this situation. I've never used AMA correctly, I think. I've only ever AMAed footage into Avid, made my edits, made a video mixdown of my sequence and exported it out.

Any advice or suggestions or links to AMA tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

It's not just the P2 workflow I don't understand, it's literally every workflow concerning AMA.

Return to posts index

Cee Bearah
Re: I've been editing incorrectly with Avid's AMA feature for years and now I really need advice, please
on Jul 11, 2014 at 11:15:01 pm

If you've never learned the right way to do edit, it's really hard to catch up.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: I've been editing incorrectly with Avid's AMA feature for years and now I really need advice, please
on Jul 12, 2014 at 1:25:06 am

AMA is just what it says...Avid Media Access. You use it to ACCESS the footage...but then you transcode to Avid media. So AMA to access, then transcode...then organize into the bins as you see fit. Then edit.
Keep the AMA bins, in case you ever need to relink, but you can tuck them away into a folder.

That's all there is to it, really. If you want to work with the footage at lower res...offline/online workflow...then you transcode to lower res, like DNx36...and then when you are ready to deliver...online...then you relink the cut to the AMA footage by opening all the AMA bins and "relink to AMA"...that'll make a new sequence that links to the raw media. Then transcode to a higher DNxHD format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Cee Bearah
on Jul 12, 2014 at 1:41:19 am

I've been looking up workflows videos for the offline/online process, but everyone does it differently.

I can follow along, right up until the tutorials cuts their sequences in lower res. After that, the wheels come off for me.

What's the best way to go from DNx36 back to the original raw media? I'm having a general problem understanding exactly what to do.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 12, 2014 at 2:20:16 am

I don't know if I can say anything here that will be clearer than a video tutorial. After the cut you open your original AMA bins and use the RELINK TO AMA option...select ALL OPEN BINS. And then you'll get a new sequence that is linked to those bins. OH...you also need to have the drive with the original media you AMA linked to mounted as well. Then you transcode to a higher res.

If the tech is tough to grasp...hire someone to do this. This is common. There's a whole profession built around ONLINE...ONLINE EDITORS. I'm in a place with 20 "offline" creative cutters, but then we hand off the relinking, onlining and color grading to online editors and online assistants.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Cee Bearah
on Jul 12, 2014 at 2:25:58 am

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 12, 2014 at 8:08:49 am

I'd look at some proper training. There is just no substitute for real teaching by somebody who actually knows.
Not sure where you are located so http://www.vet.co.uk based in London may not be practical. But I deliver a specific Avid Media Management course that covers AMA import and relinking for VET and we do offline online workflows.
your right there are lots of workflow solutions and you use different solutions based on the jobs needs. That's why you need to know the principles and theory rather that how to follow a set of tutorial steps.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 12, 2014 at 4:09:04 pm

Yes you need proper training. But more importantly, you need to be honest with yourself and your producer/director on this project.

Trying to turn around an 8 camera concert, with approx. 90 mins of footage per camera, and a 9th camera with what...6 to 8 hours footage on it, into a documentary in 2 days?

It'll take you at least a day just to organize everything, and start looking at the follow cam footage!

Give the job to someone else, you will only ruin your reputation for future work.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Cee Bearah
on Jul 12, 2014 at 4:26:55 pm

I see what you're saying. But, is it even possible to edit this project in 2 days? Is there even time to down res the footage? Can the entire project be straight up AMA cut? (Keeping in mind that most of the footage needs to be multicam)

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jul 12, 2014 at 5:28:54 pm

Cee, there is are a few confusing videos on Youtube that have some improper info regarding the whole ".old .new" clips. Everything Shane says is correct. Remember that your ama bins MUST BE OPEN to relink. This tripped me up a while ago. But that is only concerning offline/online.

In the past there was not a whole lot of education by way of books or videos for Avid. Now, however their official cert books are excellent and cover much of what you need to know, though there are some very specific workflows that pertain to Avid that one has to dig deeper to find answers to.

Taking a few weeks to go through these books will save you countless hours into the future and give you a better grasp of concepts that may fly by to quickly on video tutorials.

Return to posts index

Cee Bearah
on Jul 12, 2014 at 7:35:38 pm

Thank you for the advice!

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jul 25, 2014 at 2:48:51 am

Wow lots of reading for you to do but I understand where you're coming from.

This is fast turn around so you could just AMA link but that might have a lag on the system since its multi cam. I would AMA Link in a formatted project native to your clips, then consolidate and send those high res media transcodes to an external drive. Then edit. If you need to you can Mixdowns but you should have to. Also don't convert the frame rates when you load!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]