FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 C-Log

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Davis
C300 C-Log
on Jul 6, 2014 at 6:21:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm starting a quick turn around 60min doc. The footage is a mixture of C300 Log and 5D.
We will be editing at broadcast res and I will be doing the final grade in Resolve.

How best would you handle the log footage i.e. if I transcode it to lets say dnx 185 I would be losing information for the grade being log. Is it best to just AMA link that footage and edit away.

Thanks for any advice!

D

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: C300 C-Log
on Jul 6, 2014 at 11:20:11 pm

C300 format is natively supported in MC. You can consolidate (without a codec change) if you want the best performance, opposed to AMA linking. As for the 5D, I recommend you first run the original footage through QT Change (http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange) to give time-of-day timecode to your DSLR footage. Then proceed to transcode to DNxHD 115 and don't bother linking back to originals.

Once you are ready to send to Resolve, you can keep the C300 footage and the DNxHD (DSLR) formats. Resolve will see both formats just fine.

Return to posts index

Danny Davis
on Jul 7, 2014 at 12:04:17 am

Thank you for getting back to me.

So if I understand you correctly, I do in media composer V7.3 ama link to the C300 footage?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jul 7, 2014 at 12:09:34 am

1) AMA link to the C300 footage
2) Consolidate the C300 footage
3) AMA link to the 5D footage
4) Transcode 5D footage to DNxHD 115
5) Edit!
6) Make AAF (with new consolidated media) of the final edit
7) Import AAF into resolve and finishing grading.

Also: the reason I'm advising not to edit with AMA is because it is a 60 minute doc. Long cuts (10 minutes and more) tend to get unstable and slow with AMA.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:53:59 am

Long cuts as well as long takes on original files longer than 10 minutes gets sluggish as well.

Michael

Return to posts index

Danny Davis
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:41:16 am

Thanks for this!

D

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:30:27 am

And if you AMA link you can the log-c LUT via the source aettin7g. If you consolidate that stays as a real rime effect. If you transcode you can bake in.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 7, 2014 at 12:24:30 pm

Just a point of refinement... if you transcode you can choose to bake in. But you can still have color transforms be applied as metadata only during playback.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:03:28 pm

Yes that's correct. The Transcode dialogue since V7 offers 2 compatibility tick options, one for frameflex and one for the color transformations. If you tick then then the results are "baked" into the transcoded media so compatible with older MC versions.
Leave them unticked and the media is transcoded without those transformations applied and the transformations are then re-applied as metadata to the resultant transcoded media so can continue to be adjusted/changed.
This works well for the color transformations but is seriously crippling with the frameflex (instead of the scaling being applied to the source media at greater than HD it is now limited to the max res of MC at HD)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Danny Davis
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:47:36 pm

Thanks chaps,

All seems to be working fineā€¦.fingers crossed.

Again thanks for your help.
D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]