FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking of Buying Media composer

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Thinking of Buying Media composer
on Jul 1, 2014 at 4:20:38 pm

Hi, I currently edit using Adobe CS6 but don’t want to go the CC subscription route, for me it would make it a lot more expensive as I am happy to keep with CS6 for a couple of years. I have used and like Avid. Went to look at how much it is and 1,299.00 USD (757.372 GBP) is very good. I notice they also do a $50/pcm subscription. This worries me, are Avid likely to go the same route as Adobe and force you to subscribe if you want latest version.

Also I was going to keep using Adobe Audition and After Effects, how painful is the round trip for these?

Another couple of questions (which I can probably google for but as I am here...)

I have a dual boot PC/Mac, will I be able to use Avid on both with this licence?

Lastly I noticed someone selling NC 6.5 second hand. Would I be able to pay to upgrade this to 8?

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Thinking of Buying Media composer
on Jul 1, 2014 at 4:39:13 pm

Here is a link to Avid's subscription plan. http://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/documents/datasheets/Media_Comp...

Basically, you can buy a perpetual license for $1299 and for another $299/yr you can get upgraded to the latest version. If you opt not to pay the $299 then the next time you want to upgrade you'll have to pay full price again (there are no more upgrade discounts).

I think the Avid license is good for two machines that are not being used at the same time (but don't quote me on that).

If it's a legit sale of 6.5 (and the seller has deactivated all their installs) then I assume you'd be able to upgrade to Avid 8. If you do it before the end of the year it will only be $299.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 1, 2014 at 4:49:37 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I think the Avid license is good for two machines that are not being used at the same time (but don't quote me on that)."

That's FCP. Avid will need to be activated and deactivated every time you switch partitions, or machines. Unless you have a dongle...that's the hard key.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:44:06 pm

"That's FCP. Avid will need to be activated and deactivated every time you switch partitions, or machines. Unless you have a dongle...that's the hard key.".

OK, so how does the dongle work, is that extra?

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 2, 2014 at 2:07:15 pm

The dongle is an additional $500, so software + dongle = $1,799. As noted already, if you let your $299 year update fee lapse after 12 months, you are buying another license. At that point you now have two Media Composer licenses:

1. Original version of MC with dongle stuck at that version. That one will work as long as OS and such are supported.
2. A second Media Composer licensed for the latest version at time of purchase. This is a software license. If you want to keep using a dongle, then you pay another $500. The old dongle will not work, nor will Avid update it.

Basically you can do a spreadsheet to look at your costs over time. Purchasing a license and keeping up the yearly upgrade subscription (no dongle) is:

Year 1: $1299
Year 2: $299 (comes to $25/month)
Year 3: $299
etc.

This is the only offering that leaves you with a version of MC should you ever decide to stop payments.

The full-on subscription model is exactly like Adobe's meaning you stop paying, you have no editing solution. You can subscribe by the month or commit to a year which gives you a discount.

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/common/documents/datasheets/Media_Comp...

Michael

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:42:22 pm
Last Edited By Ben Edwards on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:42:45 pm

"Basically, you can buy a perpetual license for $1299 and for another $299/yr you can get upgraded to the latest version. If you opt not to pay the $299 then the next time you want to upgrade you'll have to pay full price again (there are no more upgrade discounts).

I think the Avid license is good for two machines that are not being used at the same time (but don't quote me on that).

If it's a legit sale of 6.5 (and the seller has deactivated all their installs) then I assume you'd be able to upgrade to Avid 8. If you do it before the end of the year it will only be $299."

OK, ime slightly confused. You say you must upgrade each time a new version comes out or you have to pay full price but 6.5-8 is surely more than one version (I thought there was a 7).

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jul 1, 2014 at 6:21:28 pm

There is a 7.0.4. The subscription model only applies to v8 and above.
And yes, the dongle is an additional $500 US.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:10:47 pm

No, if you buy a perpetual license for 1299, that comes with 12 months of support and upgrades. You can keep that license up to date by paying 299 before the end of those 12 months. That 299 will give you another 12 months of support and upgrades.
If you do not pay the 299 before the end of the 12 months, you will not be able to upgrade that license anymore.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 2, 2014 at 1:57:26 pm

Let's be clear about what this means. In order to receive upgrades you must pay for a support contract which costs $299/yr. The support contract also includes phone tech support (a paid option in the past), in addition to software upgrades. You are not obligated to install the upgrades you are entitled to. If you do not continue to pay for the $299/yr support contract, your license is frozen. It can no longer be upgraded. You need to purchase a new product at full price. Your last version will continue to function normally, however. It won't stop working if you stop paying, like Adobe CC will.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:44:50 pm

Basically, you're getting advice to make 2 separate deals with Avid, since they compliment each other:

1) you buy Media Composer for $1299. This comes with 1 year of free upgrades. After 1 year is up - no more upgrades, unless you do #2 (bellow)...

2) Before your 1 year is up, you can enter the "Annual support plan" -- This is a yearly $299 fee that allows you keep upgrading your Media Composer to the latest version at no additional charge. This is only for existing customers ...hence why you had to buy Media Composer first. And yes, this is sounds similar to Adobe's plan, but the difference is if you ever stop paying, you get to keep (permanently) the latest version you last paid for.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 1, 2014 at 8:08:24 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kay on Jul 1, 2014 at 8:14:18 pm

Audition/AE roundtrips:

Back in 5.5 I had nothing but frustrations in [attempts at]going between MC and Audition. Audition imports OMF's just fine, but I could never get MC->OMF->Audition to work correctly. I skipped CS6, but 5.5 couldn't import MC AAF's, so the workaround was MC->AAF->Premiere->Audition and even then I've still had more pains with AAF's from MC than I care to think about. And the return trip is always a track long wav, which can prevent a lot of further editing once its back in MC. That said, for mastering its okay and if you only need to work with individual files (I usually end up with a few clips where the audio needs significant correction), its straightforward and easy as each software works just with media.

Though worth noting, MC has a reasonably robust set of audio tools. Unfortunately they aren't completely intuitive.

AE can take AAF's and many have had no issue with it, but I just haven't been able to get it to work correctly. But MC->Mixdown->quicktime ref->AE works just fine. Going back AE->raw export->import into MC (which transcodes to NDxHD) is also easy (and faster than trying export as anything else from AE). I do a lot more MC-AE work than audition (mostly stabilization).

Avid licences are for either the mac or PC version. You can maintain more than one installed version of MC, but only one can be activated at a time and it can be a pain if you have to regularly deactivate and activate. The dongle is a thing, but Avid has been moving away from it for years and will try everything to keep you from getting one (not just the large additional price tag). But even then I am fairly certain that even with a dongle the licence is for only the mac or only the PC version.

It looks like Avid has discontinued MC7 sales. From resellers MC7 had a pricetag about $300 cheaper than the initial MC8 licence. MC7 also came with AvidFX (also called Boris Red, or Boris FX, it changes its name more often than Prince), which like After Effects is a compositing software. While I've found it not as powerful as AE, because it integrates amazingly well with MC (put effect on a clip, clip effect controls open AvidFX, once you are done it goes back to MC and the effect is rendered in MC the same as any other effect, can even create transition effects and change the length of the transitions in MC, or a template of an effect which can just be added and rendered in MC without opening AvidFX) I end up using AvidFX as a middleground when I want more than NLE but not as much as a large elaborate composition. Unfortunately it just isn't included in any form in MC8.

You should be able to download a trial of MC, so do that. The purchase/support/subscription model of MC8 can get cumbersome with each version having different add-ons of various importance. If you aren't completely sure what to do, I'd honestly recommend the rental subscription (and I hate the rental/subscription model for MC). The rationale here is that it takes 3 years for the subscription to start costing more than the most base MC licence, so there is much less of a financial commitment as well as the fact that the subscription version of MC has significant add-ons(of note 'symphony' has improved color correction options, though MC is no slouch itself, as well as Boris Compendium which are effects for MC that can often save a roundtrip to AE) compared to the base MC licence (getting the equivalent MC licence with all of the add-ons of the subscription version would take over 6 years for purchasing the licence to cost less than just subscribing). In either case if you know you are sticking with MC, switching from subscription to licence is not going to be that much of a hit (as well as I'm convinced that Avid will absolutely have to change their price structure and/or offer other incentives in 3 years).

Return to posts index

grinner hester
on Jul 5, 2014 at 3:28:11 pm

You will have no problem going to and from other programs. Not quite as seemless project-wise as premiere to and from AE but it's as easy as exporting a quicktime reference file and bringing a quicktime back in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]