FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switching a project that was originally started in 29.97 to 23.98

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Jones
Switching a project that was originally started in 29.97 to 23.98
on Jun 26, 2014 at 7:57:27 pm

HI all - I have a project that was accidentally started in 29.97 frame rate. All the source clips are quicktimes that are 23.98, and audio files (stems) were provided that correspond to these quicktimes (timecode).

So far, (in the 29.97 project), all media was brought in via AMA, and lined with the audio stems. There has been several days worth of editing with said material.

My question is, the network would like the final project to be delivered 23.98 fps (the native frame rate), so I need to find the best way to convert everything and still preserve my edit decisions (sequences). I already created a new 23.98 project and brought in all my bins.

Do I:

- re-transcode the original AMA clips within the new, 23.98 project? (and will the new transcode files automatically link up to the media in the sequences we already cut?)

- Do I need to do the above with the audio files, as well? (assuming the above is the correct way to go?)

- OR.... I already opened the sequences brought into the new, 23.98 project, and they have the green (render) dots. I rendered the sequenes. Is this all I have to do? Maybe I don't have to re-transcode everything?

Any advice would be more than welcome!

Thank you in advance,
Jennifer

I am on Media Composer 8 / Mac 10.8.5

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Switching a project that was originally started in 29.97 to 23.98
on Jun 26, 2014 at 11:54:39 pm

Is all the 23.98 footage imported at 29.97?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 27, 2014 at 4:25:46 am

You quite possibly are fine just leaving it. Avid does the pulldown removal correctly. Thats what the green dot effect is doing. Its called a motion adapter.

Relinking back to the original media may be tricky if you transcoded the frame rate. Avid error messages will tell you its impossible, though Michael Phillips has a method detailed on his blog. Hopefully, he will chime in here. I've never done it myself.

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=22

Return to posts index

Jennifer Jones
on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:44:48 am

Hi John and Shane, yes it was already transcoded at 27.97.

Thanks for the link John, I'll check it out. We already set up a station to re-transcode everything within the new 23.98 project (and, possibly, create new sequences, copy the old clips / edit decisions into the new sequences, and manually lay the new 23.98 footage over each shot in the new sequences, if necessary - that is, if the new 23.98 transcode files don't re-link, which I don't believe they will. Tedious, but from what Avid tech is saying (or not saying - I'm not really sure the person I spoke with truly knew the answer), this seems like the only route that will ensure true 23.98 with no problems.

I should also mention that we still have more editing to do in this project (it is only 1/4 complete at this point, and we will continue editing with the new 23.98 footage for several weeks). So, I'm interested in doing all this now, rather than the end (after 6 more weeks of editing), when it gets kicked back by the network.

Thanks both again for your help..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]