FORUMS: list search recent posts

7 vs. 8 differences?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
7 vs. 8 differences?
on Jun 23, 2014 at 5:35:07 pm

Seeing as I seem to be really good at posting dumb questions on this forum...

I've been seeing the hype about MC 8, but from what I've been reading it APPEARS that the only difference is the new licensing scheme and (I assume) hooks into the multi-user capabilities. Is there any functional difference between 7 & 8 for a single seat user like me? Any point for buying into one of the new pricing models when we have the (now archaic) "permanent license?"

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 7 vs. 8 differences?
on Jun 23, 2014 at 5:56:56 pm

Nope...Nothing of note...perhaps bug fixes, but not much else:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/Media-Composer-8-FAQ#General 1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 23, 2014 at 6:01:29 pm

You now have clip color available in "frame view" of the bin. A feature that was part of NewsCutter, now in MC. One of those, I wish they would have also included clip type...

Michael

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:30:41 pm

Subscription!

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:40:04 pm

[Massimo Alberto Croce] "Subscription!"

Okay. Why? If I was willing to go that way wouldn't it make sense to at least wait until they add features that I'd benefit from? Avid Everywhere sounds great for a team, but, at least on editing, I work solo.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 23, 2014 at 8:03:27 pm

v8 marks the beginning of different methods by which you can own or use Media Composer. Depending on your budget, situation, etc, one of them should meet your needs. Aside from the licensing and clip color in frame view (maybe a few other small things I am missing), v8 is all about what happens moving forward. For those who do not own MC, they can look to the rental/subscription model by the month or with a yearly commit. Either way, at the end of that model, you don't own any software. This is very much like the Adobe CC model.

If you own MC, or decide to purchase a license, then you need to decide whether you want to stay updated every year for $299. A new license comes with 12 months of updates and support. If you let that lapse past the 12 months, there is no pro-rated cost to get back on the plan, you are buying a new license at $1299 and now have two licenses, your old one stuck at whatever version, and a new one. Also keep in mind that if you are an MC owner with a dongle, and you let it lapse, you are also paying an extra $500 for continuing to have a dongle as it appears the old dongle does not get updated, but getting a new one. Something to keep in mind.

For existing customers, December 31 is the drop dead date. Come Jan 1 2015, you are buying a new license if you have not signed up for the $299 plan by then.

The next version of v8 releases this summer. That one will have new features and fixes.

The avid website has charts, FAQ's etc, that explain all this. There are also changes to what comes bundled with each of the different methods.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jun 23, 2014 at 9:55:19 pm

[Michael Phillips] "For existing customers, December 31 is the drop dead date. Come Jan 1 2015, you are buying a new license if you have not signed up for the $299 plan by then."

VERY good to know.
Thank you Michael. Just put it on my calendar for December (in case I don't get motivated to do it before then.)

Again, THANX!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]