FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing GH4 4K files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Howard
Editing GH4 4K files
on Jun 22, 2014 at 10:32:22 am

Hi all..
possibly about to get myself a GH4 after some great experiences with GH2 ...

Only editing problem has been AMA sucks (maybe USB 2 connection to my USB3 drive - see my previous post) and I'm currently importing all rushes as DNxHD120 and editing from those.

Also about to upgrade my laptop and move across to subscription based Media Composer ...

Projects tend to vary from 3 minute online teaser vids to 45 min conferences and documentaries. (FYI I'm in PAL land - UK)

Does anyone have real world experience of working with 4K rushes and delivering 1080? both online and downresing to DVD?

In the knowledge AMA didn't work on my last system will I have to import as 1080 DNxHD and work with that or does AMA really work now, enabling me to reference the masters and resize on the fly?

Can I set up the project so that 4K footage is automatically resized to 1080 or do I have to do each shot individually?

Advice on workflows, including which codec to shoot on for optimum online / DVD and now broadcast, would be much appreciated ...

Thanks in advance .......

Alan

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Editing GH4 4K files
on Jun 22, 2014 at 1:28:00 pm

AMA continues to be a hit & miss proposition with many factors involved form drive speed, connection speed, length of source clips, and codec. Combined with editor expectations of number of layers (streams), duration of program for VFX,multicam etc., many will find that a transcode to DNxHD still may be the best solution. Some can edit AMA all the time and only transcode finished sequence, many cannot.

When you say "import" do you mean File->Import or an AMA link and transcode?The latter is much faster as it multithreaded and uses more cores.

As far as FrameFlex and re-frame extraction from the 4K image, you can try to stay AMA the whole time to take advantage of that, or if you transcode, do not check "legacy" when transcoding. This keeps the "metadata" active so that even if using FrameFlex to resize the event so when you relink/conform back to the camera originals, you can take advantage of the extra resolution. Just be aware of conform/transcode as it seems to be a logical method, you will want to render the timeline once conformed in order to maintain the expected quality. Something I blog about here: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=160

Michael

Return to posts index

Alan Howard
Re: Editing GH4 4K files
on Jun 23, 2014 at 12:47:12 pm

I do go file > import.... will try the AMA > transcode route ...
this will all be experiments for the new computer ...

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]