FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to Avid AMA and struggling!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Page
New to Avid AMA and struggling!
on Jun 21, 2014 at 2:57:18 am

Hi

I've been sent a project, the media for which was AMA'd in, which was then roughly assembled by them. They've sent me the project folders and bins, + the footage, but when i try and relink the AMA it says "unable to relink AMA clip to selected file. It may be incompatible with the original". I have 36 rolls/bins, but i cant link any of the clips.

Can anyone help?

The second part of this is i THEN need to transcode the AMA'd clips to a proxy (the media is ProRes4444 from an Alexa, and even my super duper machine wont play it back smoothly). If i do this, will the footage in the sequences reference the newly transcoded proxy media, or the AMA still? If the latter, how do i get it to do the former?

Much appreciation for all your help!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: New to Avid AMA and struggling!
on Jun 21, 2014 at 5:15:33 pm

Just try doing your own AMA link to the originals. If that is what they were linking to, your sequence should populate. From there you should be able to transcode it to what ever you need.

Glenn

Return to posts index

James Page
on Jun 21, 2014 at 5:50:52 pm

HI
can you elaborate? I'm quite new to the AMA world of Avid! If you mean just AMA the clips in again, then i've done that and it hasnt worked.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jun 23, 2014 at 12:33:43 pm

I have never gotten the "relink" feature to work with AMA (or anything else for that matter).

The simple work around that Glenn mentioned is to AMA link the footage as if it were the first time. Make a new bin and then AMA link to the footage. The existing clips should just pop back online and afterwards you can safely delete the bin you just created and/or the clips inside.

Two notes. First, check your AMA settings (settings>AMA>Volume Mounting>When mounting previously mounted volumes...) as depending on what is set, it can overwrite any metadata that isn't present on the media files themselves (It can also have different sets of metadata on the sets of clips and can have a hard time deciding what it wants if both clip bins are open). Second, a particular AMA volume can only be linked once per MC session. Not really sure why this is the case, as restarting MC resets this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]