FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need good workflow for multiple frame rates in AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Hensen
Need good workflow for multiple frame rates in AVID
on Jun 17, 2014 at 10:18:34 pm

I'm coming from a FCP and Premiere Pro background.

I've currently entered into an all AVID facility, and one of our shoots has come back with everything under the sun... 23.98, 29.97, 47.95, 59.94, 119.88. Our editing timebase is 23.98.

In the past I would transcode the raw to ProRes, conform in Cinema tools, and import to the project. DONE. From what I've read, AVID workflow for multiple frame rates is considerably different.

This is for the most part GoPro helicopter footage. All I'm really needing to do is transcode to DNxHD 175 within AVID. I'm just not sure how I can maintain the frame rates without doing frame rate conversions.

We are strictly adhering to the AMA link then either transcode or consolidate method. We are not editing online via import.

Any suuggestions?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Need good workflow for multiple frame rates in AVID
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:12:02 pm

For all the standard frame rates...23.98, 29.97, 59.94...you make projects that match those frame rates and sizes...AMA and then transcode, and bring the bins into the master project. The files maintain their frame rates, and you can then Promote them to Timewarp if you want to do 1:1 frame rate changes (turn 60fps into slow motion 24fps, for example).

But the higher frame rates...48, 120...those need to be dealt with outside of Avid if you want the frame rate to remain what they are. Meaning use GoPro Studio to convert to Cineform, then AMA that footage into your main project. But don't transcode. If you transcode, it'll convert to the frame rate of the project. Unless you want that. If you want it to be super slow motion, then GoPro Studio will do that...convert to the frame rate of your choosing...so 120 to 23.98. Then AMA and transode and all will be well.

I know of another app for converting GoPro to DNxHD...new from divergentmedia...EDIT READY. Not sure how it handles frame rate conversions, however.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensen
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:23:22 pm

Thanks, Shane.

This might do the trick!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensen
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:17:54 am

Would you have any idea why AVID would continuously crash when I try to transcode a conformed file? In this case my 120fps ProRes conformed to 23.98.

I'm in a 23.98 hi res project. Trying to transcode DNxHD 175.

Is there a work around here?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:19:10 am

[Jonathan Hensen] "In this case my 120fps ProRes conformed to 23.98."

How did you conform it? Is it still 120fps in Avid...because you brought it in via AMA? Or did you conform it outside Avid with Cinema Tools or something?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensen
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:20:48 am

Yea conformed in Cinema tools. It's a ProRes 23.98 file.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:29:47 am

Can you consolidate it? Keeping it as ProRes (If you have MC6.5 or up...there are Avid ProRes codecs in those versions)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jon Hensen
on Jul 10, 2014 at 9:55:38 pm

Thanks for your help, Shane. I eventually got files to take, just made a couple more generations prior than I would of liked to. My source was exclusively GoPro so the generations didn't pose a serious quality issue. I eventually made Hi-Res H264s and they came in fine. Kinda quirky.

I'll keep tweaking my approach and see what works best and get back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]