FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't get AMA link or Relink to work for FCP7 to MC workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Carter
Can't get AMA link or Relink to work for FCP7 to MC workflow
on Jun 17, 2014 at 7:15:47 pm

Hi,

Running v8 MC trial on a rMBP with OS 10.9.3.

I'm stuck getting the FCP7 to MC workflow to work. I'm following the procedure shown in the
"Getting Started Fast with Avid for Final Cut Pro 7 Editors" Lesson 1 video by Kevin P. McAuliffe on the
Avid Blogs website: http://www.avidblogs.com/final-cut-pro-7-fast-sequences/

The outline of the procedure is to use Automatic Duck Pro Export in FCP7 to export a sequence as an AAF file. Then in MC, import the AAF file, AMA link to the media, then relink the clips in the sequence.

The sequence is basically raw footage from a Canon C100 that has been transcoded to ProRes and
with double-system sound synced using PluralEyes. The sound clips are in .wav format. So there is 1
video track and 4 audio tracks. About 17 video clips in total for about 1-1/2 hours of material.

All the media is in one folder on an external drive.

The Duck export of the sequence out of FCP7 to an AAF file works.

The import of the AAF file into MC works. I get all the clips and the sequence into a bin.
When I double click the sequence it opens up in the timeline and looks correct. Everything is offline
as expected. Structure looks correct

When I AMA link to the media, a new bin is created and it is populated with all the video clips (.mov)
but none of the .wav files. So that is one problem, right?

Next I try to do a Clip/Relink of the video clips in the first bin and nothing is relinked.

I have tried every permutation I can think of in the AMA settings tab and in the Relink tab and cannot
get it to work.

I also looked at the Youtube video that Automatic Duck did explaining the process and cannot see
anything I have done wrong:

It seems unlikely that both videos would leave out a key step, but I suppose it is possible.

The system is not helpful in reporting any error message that would point me in the direction to resolve this.

Is there some step that I have not done?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Can't get AMA link or Relink to work for FCP7 to MC workflow
on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:16:06 pm

Double system sync is always more troublesome when trying to relink. I would suggest taking the final AAF sequence you imported into Media Composer and duplicating it first, then remove audio tracks from one, then video tracks from the other and keep the relinking process focused on set of source files.

When you import the AAF - you probably got a lot of 24 hour source files. You can delete all those. Then I would look to see what came over as source REEL ID for the camera originals and how they were logged. These would be in the TAPE column or SOURCE FILE, but more likely TAPE.

When you AMA to your sources, put camera in one bin, and BWF in another for now to make it easier organization wise. Add TAPE and SOURCE FILE columns to those bins. There should be common metadata in order for a "relink to selected" to work.

It's not the most obvious or easy method, but it can work with patience. If you can't make any progress, I might have time to do a screen share with you and walk you through it.

Michael

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Jun 17, 2014 at 10:17:49 pm

Michael,

I added columns for Reel #, source file to the master clips bin and the linked clips bin.
In the master clips bin, the one created when the AAF file was imported, the tape column
is empty for the wav files, but says private for the video clips. The reel # is empty for both.
The wav files have a source file name but the video files do not.

In the linked clips bin, the one created when I did the AMA link to the media folder, only
in there are the video clips and the reel #, tape, tapeID are empty, but the source file is filled in.

I don't understand the metadata requirement you mentioned for relink to work. Can you elaborate
on that?

Master Clips Bin:

Linked Clips Bin:

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:47:55 pm

Let's deal with picture for now. As you can see from the screenshots, the AAF coming from FCP has a value in TAPE as "private". in the AMA linked files, it uses the entire filename including extension and there is no match there whatsoever. either it as logged this way, or got lost in the translation process.

Somewhere, there needs to be a metadata match to use as the source name. If all the timecodes are unique and do not overlap, then you can add a custom column to the Linked Clips bin called Name2 or whatever you want to call it. In that file, on each of the video clips, add

private

to that column. Now you have a match. Save all. Highlight all the video clips, highlight your sequence. Right click sequence and select "relink." At the top, select "relink to selected'. Halfway down where you have side by side selections, the left one relates to the sequence and should be set to TAPE or Source File with START timecode. The one on the right will be set to custom and you will all your columns. Select Name2 or whatever you named that new column. Select START for timecode. Turn off any matching case, etc. and click OK. Should link. Repeat for audio on your audio only sequence, then combine them back together.

Michael

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:23:25 am

I can't get this to work either. I created a Name2 column in the Linked Clips Bin and inserted the word
"private" for each video clip. But when I try to relink, the column names are all greyed out and I don't
see the Name2 column.

Can we backup and fix this by going into FCP and editing the logging information (metadata) and
then export again? It looks like what FCP calls Reel, Avid calls Tape. In other words, in the logging
info for a video clip, it is the Reel field that contains "private".

I can even change filenames if needed.

-bruce

Return to posts index

Bruce Carter
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:29:11 am

Changing the logging info in FCP didn't solve the problem either.

I also tried reducing the clips to one and removing the audio track with wav files.

Still cannot get it to work.

I'm thinking now as a workaround, I will export the synced sequence out as a new QT file
and import that into MC and start there. I will use up space and time and loose clip information
though. But I have spent 3 days trying to get something to work that should have taken 5 secs.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:32:29 am

If you want to email me those two orignal bins, I will try to link them. I don't need media. Mail to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]