FORUMS: list search recent posts

Link video and audio in sequence

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Sandler
Link video and audio in sequence
on Jun 9, 2014 at 7:53:59 pm

Hi there-

I have a video clip and a separate audio clip that i would like to "link" together so that when I click on the video to move it, the audio gets selected as well. Right now, they are being treated as separate clips so I have to shift + sel to group them. The link selection toggle is activated.

Thanks

Todd

MC8
OS 10.8.5
2 X 3.2 QuadCore
26GB RAM
QT 7.6.6
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Link video and audio in sequence
on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:01:32 pm

Are they actually from the same source? If not, there's no way to group clips like that in Avid. Linked selection only works if the video and audio are from the same source file.

Would be a nice feature request, grouping clips like that.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Todd Sandler
on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:04:28 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Michael.

They are not from the same source. I had to sync up the video to a different audio source. I haven't worked in MC since v5, but I thought there was a way to "trick" the system into thinking they are "bound" together in the timeline without creating a group clip or new clip out of it. If not, then so be it.

Todd

MC8
OS 10.8.5
2 X 3.2 QuadCore
26GB RAM
QT 7.6.6
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:16:11 pm

Is the clip used in the sequence a .sync file as a result of an AutoSync process? If so, it should work.

Michael

Return to posts index

Todd Sandler
on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:20:52 pm

Its a .grp file that was not "autosync"d prior to creating the group file.

Todd

MC8
OS 10.8.5
2 X 3.2 QuadCore
26GB RAM
QT 7.6.6
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:35:15 pm

Hmmm... too bad. One would think that a group clip might work the same way. Sounds like a feature request along with arbitrary clip linking in the timeline. I always want to lock a sound effect against it's picture and have it stay synced...

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:41:41 pm

[Michael Phillips] "I always want to lock a sound effect against it's picture and have it stay synced..."

You can group clips in the timeline like that in Premiere. Although there isn't a very clear way to show what is and isn't grouped until you select a clip (may have been improved in Creative Cloud - haven't tested the timeline grouping feature), it is a nice feature to have. I'd love to see it in Media Composer.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Todd Sandler
on Jun 9, 2014 at 8:45:34 pm

Yea, I am very used to doing that from FCP 7. Unlink audio from its source video and relink a completely separate audio file so they are "linked" together without having to create a new clip.

Oh well. Hopefully it will get added along the way. Thanks for the assistance.

Todd

MC8
OS 10.8.5
2 X 3.2 QuadCore
26GB RAM
QT 7.6.6
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

Caio Simbula
on Jun 20, 2014 at 6:24:00 am

So how do you sync telecined film footage to double-system audio in a film-based workflow? It's really easy in Premiere, and FCP7, but I couldn't figure out how to subclip my footage (breaking up all the takes from the beginning of the slate to the end of the shot) and then syncing the audio recorded onto a Sound Devices. What's the indie filmmaker workflow? I understand that higher budget films have the lab sync up the audio to the telecined film, but how's it done otherwise?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 20, 2014 at 12:00:31 pm

Did the Lab give you an ALE file or some sort of log file of the transfer? Was the transfer to tape or files? The log will contain START and END timecode and keykode of each take, scene, take, and slate timecode. If it was really down and dirty and all they did was transfer entire camera rolls, and you are working off a burn-in only, that is another issue.

Was the transfer to SD or HD?

Once in Media Composer, you can subclip each take if not done via ALE manually. Load each clip into the source monitor, Mark before the clap or right no the clap if nothing was logged. Mark out at somewhere in the rollout of the scene where there's a few frames of over exposure. The click the subclip button, or option drag the image into a bin. The clip will be highlighted, rename clip to something meaningful like scene-take, etc.

Once that is done, you can sync by timecode (if logged for each clip) or by slate by marking an IN at the visual and aural clip of the clips. If by timecode, then you can select all the clips and do an AutoSync. If not, then a pair at a time. The resulting .sync clip will take the name of the video clip. You can remove the .sync if you want to.

Edit away.

Michael

Return to posts index

Caio Simbula
on Jun 22, 2014 at 3:44:27 am

Thanks for your response. It was scanned with no ALE or log files, it was 1600 ft. of super16mm in one prores file. Granted it was due to my budget, Fotokem does offer all of those services.

Granted I will have to sync by marking IN points, it's very ironic because I had a time-code slate on set, and the audio was jam-synced to the slate, with video I would have jam-synced the camera also. I'm not familiar with how the ALE or log files work, is that something that would be on Avid tutorials? Or is that more specialized? I never see any references to film workflows on the tutorials, not Lynda.com anyhow.

Anyway thanks for the manual instructions, time to get to work.

Cheers.

caioFILM
caiofilm@mac.com
http://web.mac.com/caiofilm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]