FORUMS: list search recent posts

ReConform Project, Avid 6.5 - Original Media in Mov Format by Arri - Please Assist

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Wright
ReConform Project, Avid 6.5 - Original Media in Mov Format by Arri - Please Assist
on May 29, 2014 at 8:42:00 pm

Hello Everyone,

I need some help, i am somewhat new to avid, i have a project my boss has asked for me to research about conforming the project,
The original media is on a network drive, the media we are editing is on our avid unity in DNxHD format of course.

He has asked me to take some of the reels from the project and take them offline by disconnecting the avid unity and opening the reels so the media appears offline, he has then asked me to attempt to conform to the original media on the network drive which is in quicktime mov format.

i am on a mac pro system running avid 6.5

can someone please point me in the right direction please ?

thank you so much guys !

- mike

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ReConform Project, Avid 6.5 - Original Media in Mov Format by Arri - Please Assist
on May 29, 2014 at 9:01:58 pm

How was the footage brought into the Avid? AMA, or direct import?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Wright
Re: ReConform Project, Avid 6.5 - Original Media in Mov Format by Arri - Please Assist
on May 29, 2014 at 10:06:48 pm

it was brought in direct import and stored on the avid unity.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2014 at 10:15:01 pm

Then you won't be able to relink to the originals. What you can do is Batch Import at a higher resolution. The workflow you should have done, if you wanted to relink to the masters...is AMA in the footage and then transcode. That allows you to relink via AMA...the originals...camera masters.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Wright
on May 29, 2014 at 10:24:55 pm

darn, i was really hoping there would be some sort of method no matter how difficult it would be to actually make this work, i did not do the original importing or ingesting, i was hired after it was done and movie was already half through being cut by the editor.

so whats the options for us now if we have to go to davinci resolve for color correction now ? just to export the entire film sequence and go into davinci ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2014 at 10:54:09 pm

What format of DNxHD are they in now? 36? or higher? If high res, then you can export an AAF and bring that into Resolve...it'll be able to read the MXF files. What you would do first is consolidate the cut (only the clips used in the sequence, with handles) to an external drive...then export an AAF and get that AAF and the drive to the colorist.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 30, 2014 at 8:14:08 am

As Shane says in MC you are stuck. You either AMAS link and ingest or you import. Good knows why people still import nowadays it's so slow compared to AMA link and Transcode.
But on the Avid front that has boxed you into a corner.
The batch import will require the whole clip to be imported at finishing resolution not just the amount of the clip used in the final sequence.

However on the Resolve front you may not be so limited.
If you can mount the required original sources in the resolve media pool and then take an AAF from Avid of the offline sequence you maybe able to tell resolve to use the media in the media pool. Worth a shot.
I'd suggest looking for a Post House working with Avid and resolve for some hand holding. Their expertise could save you a lot of time..

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 30, 2014 at 6:26:15 pm

Your best bet would be to try DaVinci Resolve. If this came from an Alexa, it will have proper Reel IDs and TC. Resolve Lite (free) will do it.

1. Export an AAF from Avid with your DNxHD media connected
2. Bring the AAF into Resolve and then change the media in the media pool to the QT movie files
3. Go to deliver tab and export using an Avid roundtrip
4. Move the new MXF files (from the Resolve renders) into an Avid MediaFiles/MXF/# folder
5. Import the AAF into MC

Yes, this does require a render, but that's like a consolidate with handles.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 30, 2014 at 6:55:25 pm

Yeah...that's why I asked what codec their footage is. I HOPE it's high res. if they imported as DNx36...Then they need to batch import at a higher res...THEN do this.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 30, 2014 at 7:14:44 pm

[Shane Ross] "if they imported as DNx36...Then they need to batch import at a higher res...THEN do this"

Not necessary. You would relink to the higher-res (original) footage in Resolve and render out high-res DNxHD from Resolve.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]