FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upres a sequence?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Allen
Upres a sequence?
on May 28, 2014 at 6:41:52 pm

I'm having trouble upressing a sequence from AMA media. But maybe my workflow is not the best.

We have a ton of media, shot at 1080i 59,94, along with some canon 5d stuff at 29.97.

I started a 30i project just so we can fit everything on our drives.

Used AMA links for our 59.94 footage using the "disk label" column to put in the folders (card numbers for the media)

Then I ingested everything at 10:1.

Then I edited a short Test Sequence in that project, - Started a 1080i/59.94 project, opened that Test Sequence, then clicked relink on that sequence. After short progress bar, it keeps saying no clips were relinked. I've tried all sorts of combinations of 'all available drives', opening the AMA bins and "selected items in ALL open bins", ignore file extensions, and tried to relink using 'disk label' but nothing seems to work.

Am I going about this the completely wrong way? I'm fairly new to AVID

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Upres a sequence?
on May 28, 2014 at 8:04:43 pm

You said you ingested at 10:1. I'm assuming you AMA and transcoded the files? Did you save the original AMA files, and did you add the Disk Label information to the AMA clips, or did you add it once they were transcoded? Confirm that the disk label information is on the AMA clips. I've relinked via AMA using the "selected items in all open bins" method and it's worked fine. Just make sure the AMA clips all have the correct disk label information, and make sure you'd selected both the sequence you're trying to upres, and the ama clips.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Nick Allen
on May 28, 2014 at 8:35:09 pm

yes I did AMA and transcoded them 10:1. I labled the AMA links in the 'disk label" column before I transcoded. Then I saved the links in a bin according to what shooting day it was.

I tried it the way you did with one singular clip step by step. made the sequence in the Standard Def project, then brought in the ama bin and sequence bin into an HD project, then I just combined them and that worked for one clip.

But our sequences are going to have AMA and non AMA (the canon 5D, some go pros, etc) I tried a mixed sequence but that didn't work. Would that be a different workflow?

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on May 28, 2014 at 9:39:41 pm

Here's the thing you're going to run into if you're mixing AMA and non-AMA clips. With clips that don't inherently have timecode (5D Mark ii and Go Pro) if you don't use a third party applications to assign timecode (You can use QTChange with 5D Mark ii and you can use MP4toQT for Go Pro) if you import these clips into the Avid, it will assign TC starting at 01:00:00:00. If you AMA these clips, it will start TC at 00:00:00:01 so there's a big inconsistency. If the clips have timecode (either by being pre-processed with the aforementioned tools, or in the case of 5D Mark iii the clips already have embedded timecode) the timecode will be preserved regardless of whether they're imported or AMAed.

Both QTChange and MP4toQT are available at videotoolshed.com. Unfortunately, if you've already brought the clips in without embedded timecode, there's nothing that can be done now.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Nick Allen
on May 28, 2014 at 11:47:26 pm

I appreciate all the help you've given so far, thanks. Also I wrongly assumed I couldn't bring in the 5d footage through AMA, but after changing the plug-in I was able to and that has worked. So it appears that all will be well.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 29, 2014 at 2:01:11 pm

First of all Nick, well done. That might sound strange, but many people just jump in and start cutting, with no thoughts on if what they are doing is going to work. Its nice to read someone who has clearly done their research, and is doing tests on their workflow before undertaking a huge project.

For what it is worth, when I relink to the original AMA clips I usually take my original Avid media offline. (rename the mxf folder to something else, or move the folder inside the mxf folder up one level. I seem to have better success with relinks, if there Is no doubt what I'm trying to relink to.

I'm assuming your original links are still showing proper video?

That being said, I have had lots of instances where I will select all my clips, select my sequence and hit relink, and only some of them come online. If this happens, I usually just do the exact same thing again. Quite often, more clips seem to find their way on a second pass.

As with all things Avid, your mileage may vary.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]