FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unusual Timecode display in Composer window

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Ryan
Unusual Timecode display in Composer window
on May 22, 2014 at 2:22:06 am

I often get a strange display in my timecode window on the one or two lines at the top of the Record window.
I usually have line one set with with Mas TC1 (my sequence timecode.) At times, this line adds extra data, such as C2.1 or A1.1 - always in the form letter-number-dot-number.
If I reselect the display with the same option (Mas TC1) the extraneous data disappears, but often comes back soon after.
I haven't established yet, what common thing I might be doing prior to the issue.

Wondering if it's a known bug or something peculiar to my system, and whether anyone else has even seen it.
I'm running Symphony 6.5.4 on a shared Interplay system.
Appreciate your thoughts...

- - - - - - - - -
Neil Ryan
Senior Finishing Editor
WTFN

- - - - - - - - -

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
Re: Unusual Timecode display in Composer window
on May 22, 2014 at 6:38:40 am

I've seen that before. I don't remember what job it was so I can't give any details as to what kind of footage or project it was or what version of MC. It didn't seem to present any problems though.

I have a situation now where every time I go into my project the master TC is set to a different rate. It won't stay at 24. Sometimes it's at 25 something or other, one time it was at 60. Never seen that before. I'm on MC 5.5.6 I believe.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 22, 2014 at 10:44:23 am

Are you in a film project by chance when you see this?

The letters represent the pulldown cadence of that frame in context of a 24 frame edit with a 30 frame master:

|A1 A2|B1 B2|B3 C1|C2 D1|D2 D3|

In SD projects, it is possible to insert edit into a master and maintain 2:3 cadence which is preferable for 30i masters from 24 frame edits. I don't believe Avid carried that feature over to HD (unfortunately). The information is also available in EDL's for downstream processes to not only know frame, but cadence type.

Michael

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on May 23, 2014 at 3:41:30 am

Thanks for the response, Michael.
I'm always in 1080p25 projects.
The Sequence and all the media are the same (1080p25)

Neil.

Return to posts index

Alan Chimenti
on May 22, 2014 at 7:54:40 pm

I've always gotten that, in any project, if v5 (or occasionally v6) is the topmost layer in the sequence. If that's the case, just add another blank video layer and it should display proper 24 FPS timecode (and not 30 FPS w/ 3:2 cadence)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 22, 2014 at 8:55:12 pm

You don't need to add another video layer to display a different timecode count. Just choose 24 from the display for Master and you're good to go. But for those editing 23.976 for broadcast, will most likely want 29.97 (30)drop frame.

Michael

Return to posts index

Alan Chimenti
on May 22, 2014 at 9:14:07 pm

That's true, Michael. I guess I could choose the 24FPS display, but as I'm inevitably going to add more layers as I work, it's just faster to add another layer with a quick keyboard command as opposed to mousing through the TC submenu options (Sequence -> Timecode -> 24 -> Master TC). But I've wondered for years why that particular TC display always defaulted to video layer 5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]