FORUMS: list search recent posts

error code when trying to capture

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeanette jegger
error code when trying to capture
on May 21, 2014 at 8:06:07 pm

hey all avid-users
well im starting in kindergarten again! im not actually an editor, but i do some editing just havent done any for near on 4 or so years and feel like its back to basics which it is!
im trying to import footage from a prehistoric sony pd150 (which i still adore) with yes those good ol fashioned minidv casettes if anyone remembers them!
problem is when i try to import/capture i get this error code:
Exception: DIOProducer - digital I/O device malfunction, DIOerr: PMDIOFormat: set audio format invalid sample size

sorry but what does this mean?? sounds like the audio rate is not matching the importing rate, what do i change?
i havent used my avid stick for like 4 years, would this make any difference?? thanks so much and hope to hear from someone real soon!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: error code when trying to capture
on May 22, 2014 at 12:53:40 am

It's possible the audio on the tape is recorded in 12 bit 32k. Some mini DV cameras can record that way, but It can cause problems as NLEs prefer 48k.

Try changing your Audio Project settings to 32k. Then try capturing again.
If you can successfully capture...when you finish capturing, change it back to 48k. Then use the "change sample rate" function to convert the audio in the clips to 48k.

Return to posts index

jeanette jegger
on May 22, 2014 at 1:54:09 pm

thanks so much John for this! i did change the audio down to 32khz and it helped somewhat but i think its caused another problem - i can only import a few seconds and then it says capture aborted, discontinuity in time code! so unfortunately the problem persists - i thought maybe the tape was faulty (hence the time code problem) but its the same thing if i switch tapes, i sense this time code issue is happening because of the dropping down in audio settings - gosh, dont know where to go from here! any ideas out there from prehistoric video editing/capturing! maybe time to get a new cam!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 22, 2014 at 2:30:52 pm

Take the tape to a dub house and have it dubbed to another tape with continuous timecode and at 48k audio.

It will be a bit tricky, as if you just do straight FireWire dub, it will just copy the data in the tape as is , problems and all.

If you have a capture card, such as a Decklink or AJA Kona, that has analog connections, you might try to capture analog as a non-controllable device. You won't be able to recapture the material again at a later date, though if you do it that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]