FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Prores to MC7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Boyle
Importing Prores to MC7
on May 21, 2014 at 11:17:12 am

Hi, I have a programme master file saved as ProresHQ (exported from FCP7), I want to import it to Avid MC7 so I can then use Media Composers 'AMA Export File' option to create an AS-II xml for file delivery.

My problem is that if I convert the Prores on import to AVCintra 100 or DNxHD 185x, the levels are affected, blacks rise and whites drop and chroma drops too, easily seen from the color bars on the clip I'm importing. The effect is the same with AVCintra 100 or DNxHD 185x, so consistent at least. Since this is an online I need to keep the final levels that are in the master ProresHQ file.

I don't understand why levels would shift. I'm trans coding the file during import, is that a wrong thing to do?
Or am I missing an import setting in MC?

I have tried taking in the Prores file as Quicktime using AMA Linking, which keeps the levels accurate but I get a fail on the AS-II Export, where both AVCintra 100 or DNxHD 185x work fine for the export.

Cutting on a 6 Core Mac Pro with OS X 10.9.3

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Importing Prores to MC7
on May 21, 2014 at 11:28:13 am

Have you tried AMA linking which keeps your levels correct, then transcode to the desired codec before exporting?

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 21, 2014 at 11:30:36 am

Link via AMA, then Consolidate if you are on Mac,
If on PC, transcode to DNX 185x

Then try your export. Don't do your export with AMA linked media.

As you have seen, legacy import will give you a gamma shift.

Return to posts index

Neal Boyle
on May 21, 2014 at 11:52:24 am

Hi Michael and John, thanks for the reply.

I've just tried AMA linking, then consolidating/trans-coding to AVCintra100. But the error I get when exporting with the QT file appeared during trans-coding: 'Exception: Failed to get the sample size from the AMA Plug-in' Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 21, 2014 at 12:00:37 pm

Does it work if you go to DNxHD first by chance? Or try separating video from audio via a subclip and see if that works and then recombine in a sequence before exporting.

Michael

Return to posts index

Neal Boyle
on May 21, 2014 at 12:30:52 pm

Michael,

Thanks for the clever workaround, no idea why this works but a result is a result.

As you suggested I sub clipped the AMA linked Prores QT, as video only, and transcoded that to AVCintra100, the levels remained same as source, perfect. I then pasted the audio back on from one of my transcode imports (DNxHD 185x) so everything is in AVID media. I've just done a short export test as AS-II, with no problems.

Thanks to both of you for the help.

Neal

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 21, 2014 at 12:47:22 pm

For better or worse, Media Composer has become a cornucopia of workarounds. Would rather things would just work as they are designed for...

:)

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]