FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC 5 Error: MXF files that are NOT op-Atom

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Zaharinov
Avid MC 5 Error: MXF files that are NOT op-Atom
on May 19, 2014 at 9:19:14 pm

Hey there,

I've run into a major hiccup with some .MXF footage that I just received. The footage came from a studio set-up and was shot with some sort of Sony camera from what I am being told (an F5 or FS700.. trying to find out now). I was given large .MXF files with corresponding .XML and .XMP files (no AAFs, nothing else).

When I put the .MXF files into the 1 folder Avid spits out the following error when it goes to scan: 'Exception: AbstractMDB::ScanMXFFileToMobManager - file is not MXF op-Atom'.

Upon first look the files seem like any other MXF files I've gotten in the past. I can preview 30 seconds (looks great) and they are all DNxHD. I did some reading on 'op-Atom MXF' as I wasn't familiar with the term and what it meant (found some very educational articles) but I can find nothing regarding this error. I tried several tricks to get the footage to load but every time Avid has to scan it comes up with this.

... Help?

I am running MC 5.03 on a 10.6.8 Mac Pro 5, 1 (mid-2011, quad core Xeon and DDR3 RAM) with a Mojo DX and reading the files off a F800-connected G-Drive. I am trying to get a hold of someone on the technical side where this was shot (and trying to find out the exact camera used) but meanwhile any thoughts and guidance will be heavily appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid MC 5 Error: MXF files that are NOT op-Atom
on May 19, 2014 at 9:22:11 pm

Yeah...don't do that. Put things back where they belong...in the exact same way. You gotta keep the tapeless media structure intact...and use AMA to ACCESS the footage, and then CONSOLIDATE it. Make sure to download and install the Sony AMA plugin for this camera.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Martin Zaharinov
on May 19, 2014 at 9:37:57 pm

Hey Shane,

Thanks for your quick response. I should have mentioned that I tried AMA and no dice. Linking to the folder gets an error simply saying that Avid couldn't link to any clips. Linking directly to the .mxf files via 'Link to AMA Files' crashes the Avid with a Main Thread Error each time. The files are 20GB each, but that's not the issue since I've linked directly to 50GB+ MXF files in the past. I just re-installed the Sony AMA plug-in and got the same results. The only update so far is that the camera used in the studio set-up was Sony 1500R.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2014 at 9:59:18 pm

Did you install this plugin too? I believe you need both this and the AMA one...

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pdzk-ma2

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Martin Zaharinov
on May 19, 2014 at 11:07:36 pm

Hey Shane,

I have MC 5.03 so I have an earlier version of this plug-in (v 1.1). Could the issue be that I need a newer version of MC? I've never encountered this with Avid when it comes to working with AMA, except for MC 4 of course.

A bit more information about the project - this is for a commercial and not a show so we're doing a straight online edit (no need to re-link and uprez at a later time) so is there a way to convert the MXF files so they can be imported (or any other similar workaround that you can think of)? I have access to FCP 7 as well, but my FCP knowledge is very limited.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 19, 2014 at 11:40:13 pm

[Martin Zaharinov] "Could the issue be that I need a newer version of MC?"

Could be. That's what spurs people to buy later versions...they are more compatible with the newer cameras. This might be such a new camera that it needs newer software protocols to access the media, so you might need to upgrade to MC7.

[Martin Zaharinov] "I have access to FCP 7 as well, but my FCP knowledge is very limited."

That won't help. That software was discontinued 3 years ago...before the camera was introduced. Adobe Premiere Pro CC might help. But I can't say for sure, as I don't have that footage to test workflows with.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 20, 2014 at 12:46:06 am

Use the MXF AMA plug-in and not the Sony ones in this case since there is no folder structure to start with.

Michael

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 21, 2014 at 7:06:19 am

What happens if you just do a classic File->Import?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]