FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Avid for 1st time ,after having used only PPro ! - So many problems !

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shravan Ram
Using Avid for 1st time ,after having used only PPro ! - So many problems !
on May 17, 2014 at 10:59:00 am

I'm a beginner and so far I've been using only Premiere Pro for a year now and for the first time wanted to try Avid.

The problem I'm facing:

I haven't been able to import a SINGLE video clip into my project so far.

Reason : Being a PPro user,where you don't really need to worry about your sequence settings (resolution/frame rate) ,as you can just drag a clip onto your timeline and it automatically changes and adjusts the sequence settings .I've been pampered.

Problem : I can't choose the correct project settings on Avid.
I went to my video file,checked under 'properties' tab - saw the format was 29fps , .mov file.
So in Avid I chose 30i NTSC ,then import resolution 1:1 MXF. Then when I try to import it says ' This file format is not supported for import'. I tried changing so many settings,still unable to import anything.

Also,once I set the project format in the beginning while creating a new project,later I'm unable to change it . ( Say in the beginning I choose 25p ,PAL ) after creating the project under 'Format' tab, If I want to change it to something else, it only gives me limited options which are '24p ,1080) and not the whole range of frame rates/NTS/PAL as it showed in the beginning before creating the project.

HELP HELP HELP please !

Return to posts index

dan crouch
Re: Using Avid for 1st time ,after having used only PPro ! - So many problems !
on May 17, 2014 at 12:28:39 pm

It sounds to me like it is the file format of the clip you trying to import rather than a setting issue.
I am a newbie too technically, but I have found there are a load of new codecs for new cameras that Avid doesn't recognise. You'll need to check they are compatible first before you look at anything else.

Dan.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 17, 2014 at 12:56:22 pm

Media Composer does not separate sequence type from project type like other NLE do, (even Avid DS). The project is the sequence type and will be for every new sequence created within that project. If you want a sequence of a different frame rate, then you need to create that project first, then open the bins from the other project and proceed. From this perspective, you can mix any sequence type with any sequence type, but think of it as project to project.

As you've noticed, within a project, you can change resolution, but not frame rate. You can change project from SD, to 720, to 1080 but the frame rate remains the same. This is true for most cases except for 23.976 NTSC and 24 NTSC and perhaps PAL but need to refresh my memory again.

Jumping between 1080p/23.976 and NTSC 23.976 will change the START and all AUX TC columns to count as 30 with pulldown or native 24fps. There are historical reason for this, but that too could use a refresh since the introduction of HD.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 17, 2014 at 3:37:05 pm

the frame rate/resolution of your source media wont really kill you when trying to import it. Avid will import it...might not look right, depending on some other settings, but you can certainly import the clip.

what codec is the quicktime in that you are importing?
have you tried ama linking?
can you play this quicktime outside of Avid on the same computer?
is it actually a quicktime, or is it some raw camera file?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shravan Ram
on May 17, 2014 at 4:53:49 pm

Just some stock footage I downloaded.
I don't have Quicktime player installed on my laptop. Does that have anything to do with importing ?

Or should I try transcoding the files to Dnxhd and importing ?

Which software do I use to transcode?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 17, 2014 at 7:59:38 pm

You should have QuickTime installed on your system if it is not. The QuickTime AMA and some of the import functions rely on QuickTime decoding the file as part of the process. Install and try again.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]