FORUMS: list search recent posts

batch converting multiple frame rates in file based workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Brooke
batch converting multiple frame rates in file based workflow
on May 13, 2014 at 4:06:11 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for an improved solution to my current workflow for converting multiple files frame rates for outputting to 25fps sequences.

This work stems from a short film festival I work for where films are edited together in to 90min 'reels', and exported as quicktime movies for playback on hard disk media players.

We generally need to deal with 150-200 films and each can be anywhere from 3 - 30mins.

I've been doing this for the past 3 years and previously my workflow has involved creating multiple projects within media composer for each frame rate (23.98, 29.97, etc) and then importing the bins in to a 25fps edit project. The downside of this is that I can only change the motion controls in the timeline and have to do this manually with each clip (time-consuming).

In an ideal world I would convert all the source files (using Compressor or some such) and then ingest in to MC for editing.

I have looked at hardware solutions (Teranex) which doesn't really seem to be designed for this kind of file based workflow, although I understand it can be done with two machines via thunderbolt. Unfortunately we don't have the budget for another machine and a Teranex.

This year I am considering using Premiere CC but unsure as to the quality of the frame conversions it can perform. I have Twixtor, but that can take a long time to render out.

Is there anybody out there who may have some other possible solutions?

As well as frame rates we occasionally need to de-interlace material (although this is becoming more rare) as well as reformat framesize to output at 720p.

Any thoughts/comments would be welcome.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: batch converting multiple frame rates in file based workflow
on May 13, 2014 at 5:14:39 pm

Have you looked at what Media Composer does with Mix & Match for different frame rates and de-interlacing? If that quality is satisfactory, then the process is pretty straightforward. If not, then external conversion might be needed.

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Brooke
on May 14, 2014 at 12:55:21 pm

Thanks for responding, Michael. I have found results in Avid Mix and Match to be patchy when dealing with different frame rates, often with ghosting being a problem.

Is there any form of hardware based solution for converting multiple files of differing rates in to one format on the market?

Compressor is slow and causes problems with audio pass through when dealing with certain codecs like pro-res.

One thing I haven't tried is Sorenson Squeeze, I'm wondering if anybody out there has tried it for this type of workflow?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 14, 2014 at 1:53:22 pm

That is why I asked - for some productions it is good enough, and in others it is not. I blogged about my research into what was being done and be found here:
http:http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=70
and
//24p.com/wordpress/?p=75

As far as hardware based I/O, you could certainly look to BMD Teranex (starting at US$1,395) which is also an I/) based device to create new harmonized frame rate submasters from which to work from:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranexexpress

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Brooke
on May 15, 2014 at 4:34:07 pm

Thanks for this, Michael. Does that require a two machine workflow? One for input one for output?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 15, 2014 at 5:52:18 pm

Yes it would.

Michael

Return to posts index

Alaina Ross
on Jun 10, 2014 at 7:14:40 pm

A software based tool that you might consider is Edit Ready. My company, Divergent Media, just put together this workflow solution, and it sounds like it might be what you're looking for. If I understand correctly, you're looking to take multiple files with different frame rates and convert them into a one frame rate setting (such as 25fps). Edit Ready allows you to load multiple clips, each with different source settings and output them using custom presets to your project settings. You can download a limited free trial from our website at http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]