FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screen Sharing Software for Editors?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Screen Sharing Software for Editors?
on May 13, 2014 at 8:28:31 am

Hi,

I am wondering if screen sharing technology has advanced enough for an Avid editor to share his screen in real time over the internet with a client. I have tried a few technologies, but they can't play Avid footage in real time to the receiving party. Does anyone know if it's possible to share your screen in true real time (with sync video/audio), or is it a few years too early for that sort of thing?

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: Screen Sharing Software for Editors?
on May 13, 2014 at 8:43:39 am

Yes. It would be nice but the risks are far too great.

You would need a pretty fast connection (at least 10 MB/s) upload stream. And I would never ever enable sharing. Hackers all over the world are scanning every minute and will monitor your PC stealthily. Huge security risk unless there's a super strong firewall and deep packet inspection hardware/software to securely control the traffic. It will pretty much infect your entire LAN/WAN network within days. Try it now w/ your Mac. You'll be getting at least 200-300 hits per day relating to screen sharing core services.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on May 13, 2014 at 8:48:44 am

Thanks, Sam. Good to know the security risks.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 13, 2014 at 1:54:01 pm

Take a look at UStream. I use it for remote sessions with clients. You do need some extra hardware, and yes, I upped to a 3-5 MB upload speed.

My setup is a laptop with an MXO2 box taking a feed from my edit box.
The MXO2 does a lot of the heavy lifting for the streaming side of things. Within the Ustream software, you pick your video source to stream, and one of the options is to run a desktop stream. This is another piece of software that needs to run on your edit system. Once everything was hooked up, I got very good results from a fps standpoint. You can adjust your stream settings to help out with slower internet hookups. You also have the ability to do live switching from your sources. (edit output to desktop) Trying to run the ustream software on your edit box will probably prove to be too much while you are editing, hense the use of a laptop and mxo2 for that task.

The only issue is the time delay. I've experience between 5 and 15 second delays. This delay is nothing the client will notice, as they are watching a very smooth stream, but if they say "stop, go back to that last shot", it will appear to them that it takes you about 15 seconds to hit stop. I usually explain the situation to them upfront, and put a timecode burn up for ease of explaining what they are looking at. I also monitor the stream on a tablet so I can apprx. guess where/when they are in time.

All in all, I've had some very successful client reviews with the system, especially with client groups that cant all physically get together at the same time.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on May 13, 2014 at 2:04:28 pm

Wow! That's quite the setup, Glenn.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 14, 2014 at 2:15:43 pm

It is...it wasn't supposed to be, but i had a laptop sitting around, and an mxo2 sitting around, and i needed to start a streaming session...1 thing led to another and...

In the end, the software itself was pretty cheap, is easy to use, and does allow me to embed the stream into my website, so i can point clients to an offshoot of the website, and it all looks pretty internal to them.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Daniel Vivas
on Dec 2, 2016 at 9:03:15 am

Hello

Had the same issue
Try to connect through a 3rd party tool for remote desktop AEROADMIN or tv. The first one is lightweight and faster, you should try it firstly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]