FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 to AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Boyle
FCP 7 to AVID
on May 11, 2014 at 5:08:59 pm

My local broadcaster has moved to file based delivery for HD programmes. They want AVC Intra 100Mbit/s delivered as an MXF OP1a file. I have an online in Final Cut Pro 7, it’s 1920x1080 ProRes HQ, all ready to go clock, grade, graphics etc. But FCP7 can’t export to MXF with AVC Intra.

I was told that Avid MC had this as an option. I've been trying to decide what system to move to next so maybe this will convince me to go the Avid route. I’ve downloaded the trial (fully functioning). But it's been a long time since I used Avid, rusty is not the word.

I can see that in MC you can export using AMA File Export, this produces a MXF file. It automatically selected the SHIM: AS-11_Shim_1080i50.xml, this sounds right but there's no mention of the codec (AVC Intra 100). I'm presuming that by default it encodes to AVC Intra 100, can anyone verify that? Does AVC Intra 100 come with MC7 or do I need to install it?

Also I need to get my online from FCP7 to MC so I can produce the MFX file. Should I export one ProRes HQ file and convert to DNxHD? Any suggestions on the best way to do that. Or is there some import command in Avid that will take the ProRes file and convert it?

I’m not familiar with Avid anymore so are there any pitfalls, will converting to DNxHD affect the video or audio levels? And how do I set a project to online quality, last time I used an Avid that was just digitize at AVR77, it’s that long since I used MC.

I’m on a Six Core New Mac Pro, running Mavericks.

Neal

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 to AVID
on May 11, 2014 at 11:07:57 pm

Oh...wait. I see that Avid export MXF OP1a as XDCAM. It doesn't do it as AVCIntra OP1a. Telestream Episode does:

http://forum.telestream.net/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=54&threadid=10983

Also Premiere Pro will do it directly from the timeline. Sorry...I thought I saw it in Avid...I did, but only XDCAM. AVCINTRA export comes from Premiere or Telestream Episode.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 12, 2014 at 3:00:44 am

I don't have experience with it, but Avid can do this with AS-11 export. This is the new file based delivery export function in MC7. The file compression used can be AVC Intra 100.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 12, 2014 at 3:23:07 am

Ah...yeah. AMA export is how you get to that. Can't find good workflows online.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neal Boyle
on May 12, 2014 at 9:13:36 am
Last Edited By Neal Boyle on May 12, 2014 at 9:15:02 am

One part of my question was on exporting AVC Intra to XML to the UK broadcaster specs for file based delivery. I suspect this is going to spread as file based becomes the norm, here in Ireland one broadcaster is adopting this route. I've found a link with the MC 7 workflow:

http://liammhill.com/blog/assisting-avid-quick-tip-12-as-11-file-delivery/

Once you've the correct XML file out then you use the free DPP Metadata App to add metadata. The DPP Metadata Application requires shim version 1.1 which is bundled with MC version 7.0.3.

Neal

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 12, 2014 at 11:10:19 am

Steve Hullfish has a good workflow section in his new book Avid Uncut.

I've not had cause to use this new capability...seems like Europe is adopting it faster.

Return to posts index

Neal Boyle
on May 12, 2014 at 11:21:45 am
Last Edited By Neal Boyle on May 12, 2014 at 11:24:13 am

John,

Can I just Import ProRes to MC, (File: Import and select the clip) it's about 60mins long. I'm reading though manuals at the moment. It seems to be that simple, is it?

Just had a look, it gives a number of choices for he resolution, including AVC Intra MXF, that's the codec I want to export to. Will selecting that convert my media to AVC Intra?

Neal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]