FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Space and Batch Importing/Fast Import

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Cuevas
Color Space and Batch Importing/Fast Import
on May 7, 2014 at 3:26:51 pm

Working in AE the other day, I create some full page graphics using the HDTV(Rec. 709) 16-235 color space. Bring the graphics(DNxHD) into Avid though fast import and everything is fine, my colors levels are exactly where I want them, between 16 and 235.

Client wants to make a text change, I make it, re-render exact same settings, and use batch import to bring in the graphic. This time it doesn't fast import and Avid interpreted the colors as RGB, remapped them, creating super blacks and whites above 235. Just to check, I did a normal import of that graphic and it fast imported and worked correctly.

Nothing I did using the batch import dialogue allowed me to get a correct fast import and the only way to get the proper colors was to "Override Current settings" and say that the graphic was RGB.

Is this a known issue and is there a fix/solution to it besides remapping my colors---not that is a major deal?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Color Space and Batch Importing/Fast Import
on May 12, 2014 at 12:48:58 am

I just tried this, and did not find the error. However, note that your batch-import window has a 'Current Settings' button. Maybe press that and see what the settings say? It should say 601/709 (and not RGB) but you probably knew that.

Is this a DNxHD w/ alpha?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 12, 2014 at 1:29:14 am

Yes I tried the current/over-ride current. Was DNxHD, no alpha channel.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 12, 2014 at 11:07:57 am

John, you did not state what version of MC you were using.

Daniel may not have been able to reproduce the error because a bug has been fixed in his version.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 12, 2014 at 3:30:40 pm

Sorry, working with Avid 7.0 on a PC system. I've tried this with Avid DNxHD located locally and on the Facillis. Import the first time, fast import and Avid correctly treats the colors as 709(which is how I tagged the file coming out of AE).

If I batch import and leave the clip settings alone, my Avid does not read the 709 tag, treats the clip like it's RGB, but incorrectly imports with the clip setting of 709. Which makes my whites and blacks illegal. Of course if I go and select "Override clip settings with current settings" and import as RGB, it works out correctly---because the Batch import is ignoring my 709 tag.

Obviously this isn't a huge deal, Just thought it would be nice to work in 709---not have to remap anything, and fulfill my obsessive compulsive need to work with the footage as pristine as it can be(despite the fact that remapping colors is imperceptible).

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]