FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to AVID... Setting up an external monitor...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Windh
New to AVID... Setting up an external monitor...
on Apr 28, 2014 at 10:22:31 am

Hi.

Just testing MC 7. We have a JVC LCD monitor besides the two computer monitors in our system.

It is SDI-hooked and works just fine in apps like FCP and Resolve. From what I understand you had to have special hardware from AVID to get external output in earlier versions, but it this not available nowadays?

I cannot find any information or logical way to activate playback on the external monitor through MC.

We have a Black Magic Decklink Studio 2 card for the monitor.

Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: New to AVID... Setting up an external monitor...
on Apr 28, 2014 at 11:19:58 am

Third party hardware for video I/O has been around since v6. I am sure there is something in the documentation that explains SDI monitoring setup. Also know that the button in the timeline toolbar for turning ON/OFF external monitoring also works with third party hardware, so make sure that is active as well. In MC, go to TOOLS menu and hardware I believe and see what settings you have access to.

Michael

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Apr 28, 2014 at 11:53:36 am

Many thanks for your reply Michael, I'll look into it.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 28, 2014 at 12:51:33 pm

It's possible you don't have the latest Blackmagic drivers installed for your Decklink Studio 2 card. Avid has been supported for this card for several years now, but I suppose its possible you never updated if everything was working well for you,

As a former owner of the Decklink Studio 2, I would have to honestly say editing performance was not great with this card with Avid. Trimming was sluggish and there were other annoying performance issues. I eventually sold it and switched to an AJA Kona and everything works as expected. Unfortunately, with Resolve you are kind of stuck with Blackmagic. Perhaps their newer cards perform better with Avid.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 28, 2014 at 1:49:08 pm

Download the latest Desktop Video from blackmagic. You will find it in the support section under the card you own.

Set it up to handle what ever format you are working with in in the preferences settings. Within Avid there is a shortcut to these preferences as well...video output tool? or hardware output tool? something like that.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:43:17 pm

Many thanks guys. I'll check out those updates. As for changing to AJA, I'd rather keep Resolve though.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on May 3, 2014 at 4:31:10 am

dont use the latest driver !! 10.0 and 10.1 are screwed with Avid.

9.9.3 is the best working driver black magic has put out in regards to Media Composer.

Return to posts index

Richard Boghosian
on May 4, 2014 at 7:54:33 pm

+1

Richard Boghosian
Bogh AV Productions

AVID 7.03 MacPro late 2013 D-700 OS 10.9.2 32Gb ram BMD Ultra 4K

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on May 15, 2014 at 7:48:33 am

Changing to driver 9.9.3 fixed the problem. Didn't even need to go to any setup within MC.

Many thanks!

Btw, how do I see which current BM driver I have installed? Didn't find that info anywhere...

Once again, thanks.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]