FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid/Resolve workflow shifting timecode

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Bubel
Avid/Resolve workflow shifting timecode
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:24:53 pm

Can someone please give me some insight on this issue we've been having?

We are trying to get a show back from Resolve into Avid using the Media Tool, but are seeing a frame shift.

We sent the AAF to Resolve with these settings:

Export as: AAF (Use Marks, Use Enabled Tracks, and AAF Edit Protocol all checked)
Checked Include All Video/Data Tracks in Sequence
Did not include Audio
Export Method: Consolidate Media
60 Frame Handles
Did not transcode or render video effects
Media Destinations: Video: Media Drive
Drive: Created separate drive just for this purpose and sent all media there

When bringing back into Avid, we went to the Media Tool, selected the project from Resolve and the Drive with the media, brought all that media into a bin, changed the Tape names so that they all matched the old clip tape names, and then Relinked the sequence to the colored footage.

The edit points and timecode all match up, but the picture looks to be a frame or 2 off throughout the entire show.

We exported a video of the sequence from Avid and it matches up with the AAF in Resolve perfectly fine, so the issue is not occurring until AFTER it is sent out of Resolve.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? All our clips are non drop, but the sequence was sent in drop frame, and was exported out as drop frame as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid/Resolve workflow shifting timecode
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:55:01 pm

Did you make individual clips out of Resolve or a timeline as single clip? If the source clips were NDF and they came back as DF that could explain a shift. And why would TAPE names needs changing, were those not preserved withing Resolve?

Michael

Return to posts index

Jennifer Bubel
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:59:52 pm

The Tape column was always blank. In order to relink the original clips in my sequence in Avid to the clips from Resolve, the Tape names needed to match.
Here's a reference video to the way I did that: http://avidtips.in/round-trip-between-avid-media-composer-and-davinci-resol...

Both the original source clips and colored clips were non drop. That's what's so odd. They show that they're both non drop, but then the picture is shifted by a few frames within the colored timeline.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 25, 2014 at 9:16:09 pm

In v6.5 you could relink between TAPE and SOURCE FILE, or TAPE to TAPE or SOURCE FILE to SOURCE FILE. In v7, you can relink based on any column as source and any timecode column. A clip in Media Composer will have either TAPE or SOURCE FILE with metadata. It is very rare to not have either one.

I am going to assume you started AMA, went to Resolve, and when the clips get rendered out of Resolve, the REEL (as seen in the media pool) should be the same. When coming back to MC you can relink to selected if you have to and set SOURCE/TARGET as common REEL. I am not a fan of modifying TAPE, especially in a file based world where each clip is its own source unless the camera creates embedded REEL.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jennifer Bubel
on Apr 28, 2014 at 1:57:13 pm

I'm not sure if the Tape name is related to the problem we are having. It relinks once it's been renamed, but the frames have shifted. We are almost sure it is a drop/non-drop problem, just not sure where/how the problem is occurring. The media was brought in as AMA and then either Consolidated or Transcoded to an Avid MXF file. It was Consolidated again on export so that the media would all be in one place.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]