FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the Easiest Way To Transfer All Media From One (any only one) Project (not just a sequence) To A New Drive?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
What's the Easiest Way To Transfer All Media From One (any only one) Project (not just a sequence) To A New Drive?
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:59:34 pm

Hi,

I don't normally post to both Avid Community forums and Avid Cow forums at the same time, but I really want to hear from as many experts as possible about this very basic and important question.

I know how to consolidate one sequence to another drive. However, how do you move an entire project (with hundreds of different bins) to another drive? I'm not talking about the project folder, but the media itself.

I went searching around the net and found answers like this: http://planetsupport.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/quick-tip-avid-media-composer-m... , in which the person had to copy over his entire Avid MediaFiles folder for every single project on his drive and then use the media tool afterwards to delete material not used in his project. This of course works, but is highly inefficient and time consuming.

Someone in one of the forums here recommended using Automatic Duck's media copy. I will give this a look, but am reluctant to become reliant upon such a workflow as it's now a very old 3rd party solution. It's age makes me nervous about it being able to pull off the job properly.

How do others do such transfers? I'm really surprised that in all the Avid books I've read and tutorials I've done, I've never come across the right answer. I'm dying to get a definitive solution here. Thanks.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: What's the Easiest Way To Transfer All Media From One (any only one) Project (not just a sequence) To A New Drive?
on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:41:18 pm

For all the "best in media management" Avid offers, there is no single magic button for all a projects media to be copied over to another drive despite years of user's requesting this. Unless you plan ahead of time and manually organize with drive and/or numbered folders, there is not much inherent to the system for project migration. There are workarounds as you read on the Internet. One of them might be to go to the Media Tool, sort by project, move all those clips to a bin. Make a sequence of all the clips then use the "sequence method" - don't do a consolidate, but use the "copy" setting when doing do so to a target drive. Basically turning all your project mediafiles into a timeline.

Other than that, it is up to the third party tools, that still get used for these types of workflows.

Michael

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
Re: What's the Easiest Way To Transfer All Media From One (any only one) Project (not just a sequence) To A New Drive?
on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:07:55 pm

Wow, Michael. I can't believe this. I'm so tempted to go on an Avid rant here, but won't. Thanks for your amazing help though.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Michael Troje
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:17:56 pm

Scott,

Managing your AVID assets is not all that difficult. Douglas Bruce, http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/, has a tutorial set that demystifies asset management and shows you one way to transfer entire projects from computer to computer. The tutorials are not free but neither are they expensive. IMHO, his Media Management tutorial series is well worth a few bucks! Good luck.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:54:18 pm

Hey, Michael.

One thing I realised was that after I followed your advice of sorting by project with the Media Tool and dumping all the clips into a new bin, all I had to do was select all the clips and choose consolidate. There doesn't appear to be any need to make one sequence that includes all the clips. This is quite a relief actually and could possibly be the best way of transferring files between drives in Avid?

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 21, 2014 at 11:39:12 pm

Sure - that will work too - it's a matter of preference once you get all the project media into a single bin. Making a sequence and doing a copy should avoid all the .new clips that get created, but if you're familiar with that method, then by all means, use it.

Michael

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 21, 2014 at 11:47:23 pm

Two suggestions:

1. Automatic Duck Media Copy. You mentioned it and I understand the concerns, but it does work well.

2. Rename the number of the MediaFiles MXF subfolder to any number other than "1". This will create a new, empty "1" folder. Copy your sequence and place it in a new bin. Consolidate that sequence, which will place all the newly created media into the "1" folder. Copy the project files with the bin as well as the complete "1" folder in the MediaFiles folder. This should contain only the media from the consolidated sequence.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Apr 22, 2014 at 12:34:58 am

Thanks, Oliver. I'll investigate Media Copy further.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 22, 2014 at 8:06:27 am

MDV on the PC side is great fir this. And Avids media tool really only good for deleting media.
Most folks use manually numbering MXF sub folders as they create media to keep projects separate. Much easier to keep media by project than sort it later.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Apr 22, 2014 at 8:22:01 am

Thanks, Pat. The main problem I see with the folder numbering system is if you're working on different projects on the same drive for an extended period of time. As far as I know, in Avid you can't direct the program to drop media into different folders as you go. It only puts it in folder #1. Therefore, If you work on one project and then switch to another, you have no control where renders and other files go. I guess, you could make sure to place all your files into the right folder at the end of every session, but this could become quite tedious, if you need to flip flop between projects. I wish Avid would place media files into separate project-based folders on its own.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Apr 22, 2014 at 9:16:19 am

A way to force Avid to put media files into a specific folder can be done by project but requires a bit of a manual process. On a fresh start when you stop working on project 1, rename numbered folder "1" to something Avid won't recognize like "1a" or "1_ProjectName" and create a new numbered folder. Yes, this takes a couple of minutes and you must do this every time you switch between projects AND you must keep up with numbered folders associated with specific projects but it would work.

Would be great if Avid, which allows you to specify drives, would also allow this choice down to the level of specific numbered folders ... but you would still need to keep a list of numbered folders as related to projects.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 22, 2014 at 11:21:23 am

If Avid were to do it, they could first create media folders that match project names, then use the numbered folder concept within those to keep the OS happy for total number of files per folder.

Michael

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Apr 22, 2014 at 11:53:21 am

I've been experimenting with MediaMover for both the PC and the MAC platforms. MediaMover creates an "offline" directory for moving unused MXF files. Otherwise, it's very much like Media Database Mover (MDV).

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:00:14 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Frome on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:00:45 pm

Unfortunately Avid sucks at this type of media management.

As suggested, your best bet is to download Automatic Media Copy.
Load all your bins into that program and tell it where to copy the media. Done.

Any other method is shoddy at best. Avid just doesn't have the built-in features to make this easy. Why? I don't know, but it is what it is.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:14:04 pm

I just wrote a lengthy Avid rant and deleted it. I will say this though...when I can't even move media back and forth between drives without a big song and dance, that's a major problem.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 22, 2014 at 7:50:32 pm

I have MDV and moving media is a breeze.
And even on systems without mdv I can manage media by manually naming folders before projects start.

Be great for Avid to address this but of the list of things I'd rather they worked on updating the media tool is low on the list

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Apr 23, 2014 at 1:08:32 am

What about creating new projects with External? Then copy the folder with the bins, etc and copy the 1 folder? One would want to do the 1 folder rename thing as well.

Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Apr 23, 2014 at 1:33:34 pm

Yeah, trust me I've BEEN there. This has an aging problem with Avid -- but it only fits with their reputation as not being 'single machine editor' friendly. These changes, along with a few others, really need to be addressed if Avid ever wants to make single-machine editors want to use it. But...do they really want that? Seems not.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 23, 2014 at 1:55:21 pm

At VET we work with some jobs on shared storage but the vast majority are standalone systems and most of the clients we work with work on standalone systems and media management is not an issue for them. Many are only working on one job at a time and if they do have to work on more then there are relatively simple ways of achieving what you need (separate external drives being the simplest and easiest way to manage separate projects.

Better media management would be a nice addition. But it's not a must have and it's not top of and of my clients list of needs from Avid.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 23, 2014 at 2:11:14 pm

Considering Avid's legacy where storage requirement really limited it to one job, gas been the basis of project/media management from the get-go. But that is longer the case and Avid's "media management" hasn't really kept up with the times. It should be a relatively easy task of selecting the entire project, a bin, a selection of clips and do a right-click (copy/move) command to the OS level to perform this task rather than all the permutations needed today.

Also keep in mind that if you are using DMF (Dynamic Media Folders) that a project name is NOT associated with those clips, so MediaTool, sorting, and third party tools will not see that to automate of these processes. See my blog on DMF considerations: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=141

The same goes with the new "Managed AMA" feature. I find more people turning that off as its benefits were never clearly defined by Avid as to where it helps, or not depending on workflow. I do know that my MediaTool is full of AMA clips which I guess is managed, but I can't delete them, even when I have deleted them from the project.

Michael

Return to posts index

Charlie Steiner
on May 7, 2014 at 7:21:19 pm

I'll 2nd MDV -- excellent at moving and/or copying files by project.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 7, 2014 at 7:29:52 pm

Just keep in mind that if you're using DMF to create media, then the files don't have a project type associated with them. Background transcode does not have this issue.

Michael

Return to posts index

Philippe Brunot
on Apr 5, 2015 at 2:06:38 am

Hello everyone,
I'm having a hard time finding a download link for Automatic Duck Media Copy. Can one of you tell me where I can get this software?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 5, 2015 at 2:42:22 pm

If you are an AVID-L member, there has been a recent thread looking for Media Copy and installers for both have been added to to the "files" area of the group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Avid-L2/info

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 5, 2015 at 9:36:43 am

Use MDV (PC app)
That lists all media by project and allows copy move delete.
A function sadly missing from Avids media tool.

Pat Horridge
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]