FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flameflex LUT not applied during BACKGROUND transcoding?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
Flameflex LUT not applied during BACKGROUND transcoding?
on Apr 20, 2014 at 3:15:35 pm

Hi, there.

I think I've discovered a possible bug with frameflex? I have Arri Alexa ProRes 4444 footage that I want to transcode to DNxHD 36 for offline editing. The footage is log c, so milky. Therefore, I want to apply the proper LUT, using Frameflex. This works perfectly with a foreground transcode. The offline files have the LUT baked in after the transcode's completed. However, if I do the same thing with a background transcode, the LUT is not applied. I did tick the box to bake the colour transformation into the footage (apologies... I can't recall the exact name of the tick box at the moment, and my Avid is doing a foreground transcode at the moment so can't check. Has anyone else has this problem? If so, it's a bug and should be reported to Avid.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Flameflex LUT not applied during BACKGROUND transcoding?
on Apr 20, 2014 at 4:24:19 pm

I reported the bug several times during the 7.0.0 - 7.0.3 beta cycles if we're talking about the same thing. When using DMF (Dynamic Media Folders) the LUT will not get applied and there are some other limitations to consider as I write about in my blog:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=141

I have not experienced any issues when not using DMF and using either foreground or background transcode but I will go check again. What version and OS are using?

Michael

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Apr 20, 2014 at 4:42:26 pm

Thanks, Michael. I think it's the same bug. I am on Avid MC 7.0.3 and Mac OS Mavericks.

I haven't researched DMF, so excuse me for asking - how can you perform background transcoding without using DMF? I ask, because you say "I have not experienced any issues when not using DMF and using either foreground or background transcode". My limited understanding of DMF lead me to believe that background transcoding was only possible because of DMF technology. Like I said though, I haven't researched it thoroughly at all.

When I use frameflex to apply a LUT and foreground transcode, I'm able to bake the LUT into the offline files. When I do the same thing, but click on "run in background", the LUT is not applied.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 20, 2014 at 5:10:44 pm

DMF is a background transcode that does not require Media Composer to be up and running. This is done by created "rules based watch folders" and the Avid transcode engine running. That is what I am referring to in my blog and considerations to be aware of.

When Media Composer is running, you have the choice of either a foreground transcode, meaning the transcode will happen with whatever settings you have, but won't be able to do anything else - Background transcode is an option in the settings that will do the transcode, but allow you to continue working with Media Composer.

I will need to go test both versions of (non DMF) procsses of foreground/background to see if I am seeing what you are seeing, but in my recollection, I have not, but may not have been paying attention to the LUT process.

I also want to make a note that this is not FrameFlex. I see a lot of users referring to FrameFlex for all processes. That is not the case and can confuse others.

Avid Source Settings allows for different types of transforms to be applied. Currently they are:

Source Settings: Where graphics levels and/or R3D settings can be applied depending on source clip codec. If using GlueTools Arri RAW, you would have access to the RAW settings here. This is what causes some confusion in nomenclature - Source Settings refers to all settings when in the bin, but the term is also used again as a TAB within Source Settings.

Color Transform: This is for applying LUTs and ASC CDL values to clip(s). Color transforms can be concatenated and will process in top to bottom order.

Image Transform: (marketing term FrameFlex). This is the ability to extract a region of interest from a frame when dealing with greater than HD resolution. It also allows for aspect ratio management and how clips will display within a 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio image.

I realize this is confusing and this feedback was given to Avid to make the naming consistent between functions...

I have also see FrameFlex be used to describe automatic frame rate adjustments. That is Avid's Mix and Match feature that will kick in regardless of what sources settings are set to as it relies only on frame rate of source and project/timeline. There is a loooong time request that frame rate be set as part of the source settings on a per clip or batch of clips basis, similar to "interpret as" with Adobe. It has been requested since Mix and Match was first introduced in v5 I believe.

In this scenario, you are only referring to the inability to bake in a color transform with background transcode and nothing to do with FrameFlex. Now FrameFlex can also be baked in with foreground/background, but if I am understanding your issue, you are only having problems with color. I will go check on my system. I am on Win 7 with MC/Symphony option v7.0.3. What are you running?

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 20, 2014 at 5:39:54 pm

My mistake, I had it backwards, in the "Source Settings" the Tab is called "FrameFlex", but in other area of the UI it is referred to as image transform (bin), reformatting options (transcode dialog box), and I can't rmember what it is referred to in "refresh sequence", etc. Makes it confusing to the uninitiated what action will be applied to what depending on on where you are in the UI.

But that being said - I just tested it on my Win 7 v7.0.3 and did background transcode and everything was applied as expected to the transcoded clip.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 20, 2014 at 5:41:46 pm

May be a Mavericks bug. I am not on Mavericks, my MacBook Pro is still running 10.8.5. I have had no need, no in a hurry to move to Mavericks yet.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]