FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer specs for Avid/Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Coulter
Computer specs for Avid/Creative Cloud
on Apr 11, 2014 at 7:05:45 pm

When I started taking editing courses a couple of years ago, the Mac mini I had was enough to get me by. Now that I'm doing freelance work, it's not cutting it. I use Avid 6.5 and Creative Cloud (mostly Premiere, Photoshop and Audition) in my workflow.

I've got a $2500 budget to buy a new machine. From what I've seen, that probably puts me in the Windows world. I'm comfortable with Windows, so that's not a problem. I'm hoping that one of you kind-hearted folks can tell me if I'm screwing up something with these specs on a HP Envy desktop I'm considering...

Operating system Windows 7 Pro 64
Processor 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770K processor quad-core [3.5GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
Graphics card 4GB Nvidia GeForce GT640 [DVI,DP,HDMI & VGA via adapter]
Memory 32GB DDR3-1600MHz [4 DIMMs]
Hard drive 3TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Disk Caching 16GB mSATA SSD Cache

Is there anything I'm missing? Any of the specs too low or not applicable to editing?

I'm really excited with the prospect of getting a machine that I can spend more time editing with than watching video buffer.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Computer specs for Avid/Creative Cloud
on Apr 12, 2014 at 9:28:04 am

I'd look at an HP 420 or 820
One 3TB drive isn't practical you want os and media separate. I'd consider a 250GB SSD for the OS and 2x 2TB raid 0 for media (making sure all media is backed up or can be re ingested as raid 0 is unprotected. But then so is a single media drive!)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Apr 12, 2014 at 11:18:22 am

Thanks Pat. I wondered about the hard drive. I suppose running media on an external drive is a no-no?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 12, 2014 at 12:51:09 pm

No external is fine. But internally you can use the Sata and create a RAID.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Apr 12, 2014 at 1:19:37 pm

Awesome. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Keith Rocheck
on Apr 12, 2014 at 1:24:25 pm

I'm going to recommend you look into an HP z230. Its a fantastic box and at a price you may not expect for an HP workstation, but depending on the options you click you can go over your budget.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/AVIDHPZ230WorkstationTowerSFF...

Pay careful attention to the processor and RAM specs. We bought a bunch of the small form factors and a few towers and they are fantastic. Our configuration is

- Xeon® E3-1245 v3 4C HT
- 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 ECC memory
- Embedded Intel HD Graphics P4600 (read the guide about configuring for 512 MB vRAM)
- 120 GB SSD SATA 1st Drive
- 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 2nd Drive

You have the K600 graphics option. The SFF motherboard has 3 DisplayPorts and the Tower has 2 DP + 1 DVI-I. I had a little fight with one of the SFF's trying to get 3 monitors working the other day, but that may have been me being stupid. There's something else I want to try, so I can report back if you're interested.

~Keith

Return to posts index

Brad Coulter
on Apr 12, 2014 at 2:15:25 pm

Thanks Keith. Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing your experience. I'm a couple of weeks out from buying a machine, so I'm still looking at all my options.

Return to posts index

Mark Baird
on Apr 18, 2014 at 5:25:49 am

I am currently running AVID mc 6.x on a machine that isn't nearly that good and it works fine for me. (only 16 gig ram, lesser graphics card, and an i5 quad core processor.) I echo the idea of a 250gb SSD for the system and software drive. That is a HUGE plus. I run a 150ssd, a 3x2tb array AND another 1tb data drive internal. All media goes on the array, the other drive is stuff that I want to keep close at hand. (music, effects, finished masters) etc.

Also external drives are fine. I can edit easily from USB 2 or 3 drives. (don't try multicam from them though. i usualy have 2 or 3 externals hooked up for various reasons and have a USB 3 SSD reader for the SSDs coming in from my Black Magic Cinema Camera.

If you are buying a turnkey machine definitely look at the HP line. I have had extremely good success with them. If you are rolling you own, my current system has an ASUS motherboard and it's been great. I am currently considering rebuilding with the ASUS P8Z77 with thunderbolt support. Obviously don't know if it will work but it's worth a look. None of these are 'supported' by AVID but that doesn't mean they won't work. just means AVID hasn't tried them in the lab.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]