FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA Linked Vertical Video from iPhone

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McAlpine
AMA Linked Vertical Video from iPhone
on Apr 11, 2014 at 3:43:23 pm

Hi all. I'm a 13 year FCP user finally making the switch to Avid MC. I am still under the 30 day free trial, so I'm trying to work through as many scenarios as I can before deciding if I'm going to purchase Avid or not. Currently I am having an issue adding vertical video from an iPhone. I have brought in all my footage via AMA linking. The horizontal video is fine, but the vertical video looks like this:

I have no idea why it is doing this. Initially I thought it was just zooming in really far, but I tried resizing the image and it just made the box smaller. I selected Pillarbox/Letterbox under Reformat. I'm not sure what else I can do. Any advice?

Nathan McAlpine
Freelance Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AMA Linked Vertical Video from iPhone
on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:58:30 pm

Tell whoever shot the video vertical to stop doing that. It's wrong. Only works on YouTube, and even there, is very hard to watch. Only kiosk TVs in malls are vertical. Shoot horizontal.

But if they keep sending it, then you'll need to prep the footage in other ways. Import into After Effects into a project with proper TV dimensions, and then render it out and export with black on the side, as DNxHD and import that. Not sure if converters like Sorenson Squeeze or MPEG STREAMCLIP will allow you to do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpine
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:19:09 pm

Thanks for your response Shane. Now, your opinion on what's right and wrong as far as shooting is pretty irrelevant. The footage I get is the footage I get.

That is a bummer that I can only use footage that has "proper TV dimensions." I can import whatever I want into FCP or Premiere. I wonder why Avid can't handle alternate ratios... I import still images fine that are an assortment of dimensions.

I guess I'll just mark that one up as a 'con' for Avid and bring these clips into AE for export.

Thanks again!
Nate

Nathan McAlpine
FCP and now Premiere Editor

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:40:51 pm

FCP and Premiere have "multimedia" editing roots. Avid is primarily a broadcast/film editor and only works well with standard video formats. That's just how it is. Not really the best tool for custom or non-standard sources. If you have access to FCP or Premiere, I'd recommend using either over avid for this kind of work.

Another problem you may face , is that the iPhone and other phone camera shoot VARIABLE frame rate. You'll need to convert to a fixed frame rate, while fixing the orientation in another program

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:43:30 pm

[Nathan McAlpine] "That is a bummer that I can only use footage that has "proper TV dimensions.""

Avid was designed with very specific needs...Film and TV production. Period. Meant to be used with film and video cameras that shot standard formats. Many cel phones do not...and when held vertically...not at all.

[Nathan McAlpine] "I can import whatever I want into FCP or Premiere."

Then use those for this task. Not all NLE's are the same, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Know them, and use the appropriate solution to the given problem.

Problem: Some doofus shot vertical video.

Solution: Use FCP, FCX or Adobe Premiere Pro.

[Nathan McAlpine] "I wonder why Avid can't handle alternate ratios..."

Because it was specifically designed to work with film and broadcast video formats only.

[Nathan McAlpine] "I import still images fine that are an assortment of dimensions."

Actually, when you import stills, Avid creates media that matches the frame size and aspect ratio of the project. Shot 8000x4000 pixels...or 1000x400, 300 DPI? Avid will import and make 16:9, 1920x1080 (if those are the given settings), and 72DPI. NO zooming in on that...and the image will be distorted. Unless you choose an option that won't distort the image, in which case it'll be framed by black. But still to low res to do anything with. Thus why you use Pan & Zoom, or Moving Picture.

Stills aren't video...Avid imports those differently.

[Nathan McAlpine] "
I guess I'll just mark that one up as a 'con' for Avid and bring these clips into AE for export."

Exactly.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:46:36 pm

Go to properties in MoviPlayer, and change display from portrait to landscape and save. AMA link, then apply a DVE to make it portrait again.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:47:53 pm

Don't you come in here with your quick and logical solutions, Michael!

(nice solution)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:22:33 pm

:)

MC is a mishmash of workarounds. But I will stay away from quality issues and effective resolution when working this way unless it is for green screen shooting of people and tall things to be composited in, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpine
on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:20:53 pm

That was easy, thanks Michael!

Thanks for the feedback guys, but again, I'm trying to put Avid through multiple test so I can see if I want to purchase it or not. I already have FCP and Premiere so that's not really the point here. I'm sure most Avid editors don't just switch to another NLE when they're given random phone footage.

I'm going to throw some RED footage into the mix next to see how that performs.

Nathan McAlpine
FCP and now Premiere Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:26:08 pm

Arbitrary resolutions and performance of all codec types will not be Media Composers strength when compared to Premiere Pro. AMA will allow linking to many camera formats, but despite what Marketing might say about instant editing, your mileage will vary based on codec type, amount of hours, length of each clip, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

Pam Wise
on Mar 30, 2015 at 9:43:19 pm

Hi Michael!

How can I get a 3 minute video from my iphone 6 into MC 8.0.3 in the best resolution to edit and export to QT?

Thank you SO much if you will take a minute to answer.

All the best,

Pam Wise, ACE (it's been ages! I hope you're well and happy.)

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Apr 12, 2014 at 8:42:41 pm

(youtube video that you will enjoy)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 31, 2015 at 1:33:05 pm

Hi Pam!

Assuming it is shot landscape (16:9) and portrait (9:16), you should be able to AMA link directly to the file for playback in Media Composer. I did a quick test last night with iPhone 5s, and the file was 1920 x 1080 @ 29.98fps... So your best quality quality wise is to create a 1080p/29.97 project which should match the frame rate and progressive nature of the file. If you were on 8.3, you would have the additional assurance of setting the source setting on the file to match project (frame for frame) making sure it stays at 29.97.

Once linked, you can transcode to ProRes internally within Avid. Anything but ProRes LT should be fine and then do an export QT "same as source". And voila!

If all you want to do is create a .mov with a different codec, then tools like MPEG Streamclip and such will do the same thing.

Hope you're well too! I am doing great!

Michael

Return to posts index

Margot Persson
on Apr 21, 2015 at 5:24:11 pm

Hello Michael et al.,

I'm glad to discover this post, as I'm currently dealing with a similar issue.

Unfortunately, I'm coming up short at the solution -- what is MoviPlayer, and how can I find it? Preliminary searches online haven't turned up anything recognizable.

Any clarification would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Margot

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 21, 2015 at 7:29:46 pm

I mean the QuickTime Player - and it is best to use QuickTime 7 player. Once the .mov file is open, then you can do to the track properties to set it as seen here:

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 21, 2015 at 7:37:15 pm

And the Installer can be found here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL923?locale=en_US

Michael

Return to posts index

Margot Persson
on Apr 21, 2015 at 8:23:21 pm

Aha -- thank you, Michael! Much appreciated.

Margot

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]