FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Offline in old projects

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam White
Media Offline in old projects
on Apr 10, 2014 at 7:31:18 pm

OK...I have absolutely no idea what has gone wrong here.

In going back over some older projects cut in Avid last year, I am seeing a slightly worrying trend of random pieces of media going offline. What could be causing this?

I have not made particular use of AMA Linking...I generally have AMA Linked and then transcoded to DNXHD. Though, to be honest I have a pretty strict folder structure on all editing drives anyway so even if AMA linking had occurred, nothing would have been moved afterwards to break the link. But generally everything was done "by the book" (i.e. creating dnxhd files and working with them)

I'm a bit bemused as to why this seems to be cropping up. I'm also very surprised, as I was told by many that this was precisely the kind of thing the Avid system of media management avoided. I had far less issues managing my own media with FCP7 than I am finding recently here. Has anyone ever experienced this issue, and have they any advice to share?

Currently on Media Composer 7 (though some projects were originally cut on MC6) and all media/projects are on FireWire800 drives. I'm currently on OSX Mavericks.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
Re: Media Offline in old projects
on Apr 11, 2014 at 12:22:49 pm

Hi Adam,

Does the footage come back online when you relink? Is there any possibility that some clips might have been transcoded to internal drives on your machines rather than on to the 800 drives? It's an easy thing to do when bringing in footage over different periods, especially with the way that when you open up the consolidation window and where it labels available drives one will show up as bold even though you have to click and select which drive to transcode to.

On some old consolidated projects do occasionally have 1 or 2 clips show as offline when I boot up the project but they always come back when I relink.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 11, 2014 at 3:20:22 pm

Delete your database and have Avid rebuild it.

Where does avid say it is looking for the missing media?
In your bin view, turn on your drive or storage location column. It will usually list the last place it had the media. if that is the same drive you are currently using, than perhaps deleting your database and rebuilding it will help. If it is pointing to a different location, then you know something got created in the wrong spot, and you may have to find the originals.

You can also do a manual search for the media in the mxf/1 folder...or what ever folder you think it should be in. If it is there and Avid isn't seeing it, than delete the database and have Avid rebuild it.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:06:24 pm

Many thanks to both of you guys for your helpful suggestions.

When I get a chance to look at this again and try to fix it, I will give your ideas a go and see if they help.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]