FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing SD Footage into AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Lydon
Importing SD Footage into AVID
on Apr 9, 2014 at 11:01:01 pm

Hi all,

I have a quick question, wondering if anyone out there can assist me.

Last summer I shot some 720 x480 footage. Here are the codecs: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, Linear PCM, Timecode.

What format should I create the project in? 720p 23.976? or 24p ntsc?

Also, how should I import the footage into Avid? Or should I AMA link?

Much thanks,

Timothy

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Importing SD Footage into AVID
on Apr 10, 2014 at 12:16:26 pm

What is the frame rate of the original? Is it anamorphic? Are you wanting to up-res to HD and if 4x3 (non-anamorphic) do you want pillarbox or pan and scan?

Hare are thoughts to consider:

Typically you should ingest into MC in a project type native to the footage (NTSC and frame rate) then change the format of your project to HD format or open that bin/footage from another project type you want to finalize.

If file based you should AMA link and transcode. If only going to DVD then stay in NTSC format.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Timothy Lydon
on Apr 10, 2014 at 3:43:47 pm

Ricky,

Thank you so much for responding...

The frame rate is 24fps and I do not know if it is anamorphic or not. How do I find that out? I do not want to make it HD, and I'm sorry but I don't know what pillar box or pan and scan means.

This will not be going to DVD, I'm making a promotional video for a music festival and putting it on Youtube.

Timothy.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Apr 10, 2014 at 6:05:53 pm

Create 24p NTSC project, AMA link and transcode. This will be progressive (perfect for computer/web.

NTSC (DV/DVCPro) is 720x480 pixels - this is 4x3 aspect ratio. If your video was shot anamorphic your video will look squeezed, everything will look tall and skinny - what this means is you can stretch it out to be visually correct at a 16x9 aspect ratio. If your video looks normal then it is standard 4x3.

I haven't uploaded to youtube lately and don't know if they stretch 4x3 to fit 16x9 (in which case you will need to add black pillar bars and export 16x9).

At any rate don't get confused by that yet, just create project, link and transcode and edit etc. You can always come back to the forum for more info. on the next stumbling block!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Timothy Lydon
on Apr 14, 2014 at 11:04:18 pm

Thank you Ricky!

What would you transcode to?

Apple Pro Res
1:1 MXF
JnkNTSC
etc......

This is where I often get confused, I'm not certain about the difference between these video resolutions.

Best,

Timothy

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Apr 15, 2014 at 11:39:47 am

To keep best resolution I would do 1:1 MXF.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Timothy Lydon
on Apr 15, 2014 at 1:53:05 pm

Great, is this a rule? Do you always transcode/import at this resolution?

Timothy

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Apr 15, 2014 at 2:08:03 pm

Not really any rules per se - I have taken footage in at DV25 before ... the general "rule", if any, is that you want to keep the highest quality and resolution until the final step, in your case, until the final compression that happens when you transcode to MPG2 which is the spec for DVD. At the point of compression/transcoding, the quality or bit-rate will be limited/determined by: 1-Length of footage, 2-DVD 5(single layer) or DVD 9(dual layer0 3-Audio type (PCM or AC3). If your footage is short enough in length, your compression/transcoding will be limited by the DVD spec (roughly 9 MB/s) - in practice, it is recommended to never exceed 7.5 MB/s (generally aiming for 6.5-7 MB/s)

Ricky

Return to posts index

Timothy Lydon
on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:51:17 am

Thanks so much for your help, Ricky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]