FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing Footage In MC 6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reuben Fink
Replacing Footage In MC 6
on Mar 28, 2014 at 5:31:44 pm

Basically I'm coming from both FCP and Premiere. These packages let you take a clip and replace it with any other clip you want. This is what I'm trying to do. Basically swap out one MXF file for another different MXF within Avid.

For example I have a color corrected shot from Resolve that has been used multiple times in different sequences. This shot has to be replaced with another CC shot. This original shot was first exported as an MXF from davinci and then imported directly to avid without having avid do any conversion. The new file is an MXF file exported out of Resolve and has a different name than the original file. Is there a way to replace the old with the new MXF clip?

OSX 10.8.5
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008, 20 gig of ram
Aps: Adobe CC , FCP Suite, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Replacing Footage In MC 6
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:46:17 pm

Assuming the "Tape" and REEL are the same in the process, you can do a "relink to selected"when both sequence and clip(s) are highlighted. Sequence will update with the new clip now referenced.

Michael

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:39:53 pm

Sorry just a little lost on this one. I'm not seeing an option for "relink to selected" in MC 6. You might have to outline some steps since I'm pretty new to AVID still.

So this will work even if the name of the MXF is different? What if the Reel and Tape are not the same?

To simplify. What I'm trying to do is just replace one MXF with another one. Is this doable? For instance premiere has a "replace footage" function available for any clip. Final Cut Pro will let you relink media to any file even a file of different length. For both those NLE's all sequences with that clip update. For instance if I had a lower 3rd in multiple sequences but the client wanted it changed. By swapping that one clip with a revised one all sequences automatically point to it.

Does avid have this kind of flexibility with it's MXF's?

OSX 10.8.5
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008, 20 gig of ram
Aps: Adobe CC , FCP Suite, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:48:55 pm

Not really, no swap function other than a manual overwrite edit. In order to do a relink, there has to be some source column that is the same and can be any column and a common timecode, and can be any (or most) of the timecode columns. When you look at the old and new clip in the bin under the Tape or Source File columns what is displayed?

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 29, 2014 at 4:28:07 pm

Is this the same shot, but with different color added to it in resolve? If so, resolve's output will give you the same file name it did the first time. (if you output it to the same directory, i believe it will over right the original mxf) just tell resolve to use the source file name...assuming you did that the first time.

If it is a different shot, can we assume it has different timecode? If so, (its been a while but) even FCP would be unsure how to use this shot would it not? I would guess you would have to go in and adjust the shot anyway. Plus in FCP, would you not have to select each shot individually if they are named something different anyway?

Just thinking out loud here, but perhaps output a list from avid to Resolve. In resolve you can change the shots being used on the timeline using the conflict adjustment tool, or manually selecting shots and changing their source directory, or manually selecting shots and telling resolve to use a different shot from the media pool. Either way, you could swap the shots in resolve and output a new list for Avid to work with again. If it is pretty much every shot in the sequence, then you are looking at a lot of selecting and swapping out shots either way. Might as well just do a replace edit in Avid for each shot.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]