FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing 48 min video from avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Edwards
Compressing 48 min video from avid
on Mar 27, 2014 at 11:55:36 pm

Hi Guys! I have a project that is ready to be sent to the broadcasters but when i export from avid at full quality its over 50 Gig! I was hoping to hear your thoughts on exporting from avid for HD quality on to something more manageable like 6gig or something. I know it can be done but i just dont know how. My video is about 50 min long and i am using Avid MC 5 on mac. When i used Fcp7 i just exported it as a mp4 and compressed it in compressor with reasonable results. How Can I get something small enough to send to the broadcaster on a DL DATA DVD? Thanks So much in advance for your help!

MAC OSX 10.8.4
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
* GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB - DIMM

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER Vr. 5.53
FINAL CUT STUDIO 7

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Compressing 48 min video from avid
on Mar 28, 2014 at 12:37:47 am

[Matthew Edwards] "when i export from avid at full quality its over 50 Gig!"

That's perfectly normal. Sounds right for a 48 min project.

[Matthew Edwards] "I was hoping to hear your thoughts on exporting from avid for HD quality on to something more manageable like 6gig or something."

Why? What's wrong with 50GB? 6GB will mean you need to compress it quite a bit, using something like the H.264 codec. And will who you are delivering to accept that? In fact, what ARE their delivery specs? What do they want to receive from you?

[Matthew Edwards] "How Can I get something small enough to send to the broadcaster on a DL DATA DVD?"

They want a 50 min show, compressed so that it fits on a DATA DVD? What codec do they want...are they willing to accept? If the same place as took files when you used FCP, why not take that 50GB file, and use Compressor to export the same as you did before?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Edwards
on Mar 28, 2014 at 1:18:40 am
Last Edited By Matthew Edwards on Mar 28, 2014 at 1:41:13 am

The delivery specs are for HD quality But my boss just said send a DL DATA DVD. How come when i download high quality HD 1080 movies its like 6 to 8 gig? Is there sometjing i am missing? Also is there a way to burn directly from avid like in fcp? The setting i usually use are Apple 422 Hq But i dont exactly know what it is on avid

BTW thanks for the quick reply guys!

EDIT: What do u use for sending in to a broadcaster? Blueray Discs? Betacam, XDcam tapes? Upload??? Is there a common standard that i should use?

EDIT: BTW Yes this is my first time sending to a broadcaster! LOL

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2014 at 1:46:13 am

[Matthew Edwards] "The delivery specs are for HD quality"

That's extremely broad. I get specs like "1080i 29.97 HDCAM SR tape," or "1080p 23.98 ProRes HQ or DNxHD Quicktime file." Stuff like that.

[Matthew Edwards] "But my boss just said send a DL DATA DVD."

OK...but compressed how?

[Matthew Edwards] "How come when i download high quality HD 1080 movies its like 6 to 8 gig? Is there sometjing i am missing?"

Those are compressed H.264 files. Delivery files...stuff that you watch on your computer. But this is sometimes an option for delivering to news stations. I've done that. But so far there are very few specifics being mentioned here...other than an HD file on a DVD. So...for that I'd suggest H.264, full size 1080.

[Matthew Edwards] "Also is there a way to burn directly from avid like in fcp?"

Yes...EXPORT>QT MOVIE. Go into the settings and choose H.264 and compressed audio and the like. But you'll have to adjust a lot of these manually, and know the dark art of compression. This is why things like COMPRESSOR and SORENSON SQUEEZE with presets exist, for those of us who aren't compression experts. And the quality out of Avid is decent, but nothing I'd use for broadcast delivery...personally.

[Matthew Edwards] " The setting i usually use are Apple 422 Hq"

There's no way you sent a 48 min, Apple ProRes HQ file at 6-8GB. No...it'd be around 50GB. Avid's version of ProRes is DNxHD...and that is a great delivery option. But you won't get 6-8GB file sizes with that format. Only H.264.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matthew Edwards
on Mar 28, 2014 at 2:05:49 am
Last Edited By Matthew Edwards on Mar 28, 2014 at 2:10:02 am

No this is my first time sending to a broadcaster but what i usually do in fcp 7 is burn directly on to a dvd at mpeg2 or so quality. I know thats too low quality for this but my question is: what is? anyhoo i dident say i usually get 4 or 6 gigs out of a apple pro res file no i am not saying that... but i was wondering if there is any way to get something like that and your answer is no. i am going to ask my boss for specific instructions from the broadcaster cause its clear i don't know.

Anyway another thing is that when i use export in avid it just creates a data file,,, but with fc7 i can just export and burn to dvd right in fcp7 without having to go to an external application. My boss is kinda a old news guy so he asked me... is there anyway to give me a high quality dvd in a hour? and i said yes becasue i used to be able to just hit export in fcp7 and burn directly in a hour.
Anyway sorry i am rambling..

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 28, 2014 at 5:01:11 am

Definitely get specs from the broadcaster. Some will take Pro Res or Avid DNX. Others may want XDCAM HD. Some may want it in an MXF container and not a Quicktime container. Some may want an AS-11 file. There is not a one size fits all solution here. Get it in writing.

As far as DVD capability, Avid bundles with Sorenson Squeeze, if you bothered to install it (some people don't). With your sequence open, just go to File/Export, then select the preset Sorenson Squeeze-Encode for DVD. This creates a reference movie and audio wave file, but unfortunately, it won't automatically launch and import into Squeeze. Manually launch Squeeze, drag the reference movie and wave file you exported into the main window, then select the DVD_Disc_Burn preset of your choice from Workflow/Disc/Elementary Streams, then click Apply. It will encode, ask you to insert a disc, then burn you a DVD. The PC version of Avid, also bundles with AvidDVD..which is somewhat similar to DVD Studio Pro, but it sounds like you aren't interested in menus and other authoring options...just a quick disc.

The above assumes you have a recent version of Avid and have installed Sorenson Squeeze 8, which is bundled with Media Composer.

Return to posts index

Matthew Edwards
on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:10:07 am

Ok thanks... Yeah I guess I will just have to get my boss to talk to the broadcaster. Thanks so much for your input and for understanding my predicament. I usually only deal with music videos and the like. My first time as the final editor on a TV movie . :)

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 29, 2014 at 3:27:54 pm

John is spot on - you need spec details from your specific "broadcaster". XDCam50 in MXF wrapper will likely be around 25 to 30 GB. I have had difficulty finding a "standard" as it is usually broadcaster specific (major network, Cable, Dish, Satellite, Local etc.)

Ricky

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2014 at 5:56:45 am

Avid doesn't ship with DVD authoring software for Mac...only PC. So you'll have to take that file your exported file into DVD SP directly and make the DVD, or into compressor first, and then DVD. But it will no longer be HD...it'll be SD. And it'll take more than an hour.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Alfred Ferdwell
on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:38:33 pm

I would suggest that size is not the issue here, (relative) quality is. As many have mentioned, delivery on a data DVD is doubtful even if it's a DL. No one really wants a downres'ed SD DVD-formatted project, even if that's what they're saying.

Ask, then confirm, broadcast spec, then ask and confirm again. If they never get back to you with a real size and codec spec, I'd deliver a 1080p quicktime at AVID DNxHD 145, stereo 48K linear PCM, big endian. And, I'd ship it (or whatever they ask for, if they do give you spec) on a 64GB (or 32G, or 16G if it fits) USB3 stick, for maximum copy-ability (not every facility has a BD drive, but all have computers with USB3 or 2).

IMHO

Ferd

Return to posts index

Timothy Cervinsky
on Oct 19, 2014 at 2:04:18 pm

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, I have a related question

I work for a university assisting students and faculty with our (outdated) TV studio. In an effort to provide the students with a comparative workflow to what they will see when entering their chosen career, I need to know what the process is typically for taking a HD project from Avid and broadcasting it.

Since our studio is going through some growing pains (which are more like old age pains since most of it is still SD) our plan is to export a HD project to a Blu-ray disc to play on a JVC SR-HD2500US running HD-SDI out to a TriCaster 860- if I can get the school to pay for all this.

Inside of Avid we have a HD project encoded at DNxHD 145, 1080i/59.97. How would we want to export this out to disc? We are using Avid MC 7.0.4 with Sorenson Squeeze 8 (I think).

I am also wondering, and this is just to show my ignorance with these things, if the OP's 48 minute project is 50Gb how are they putting a 2 hour HD movie on Bluray disc for consumers?
And lastly, what are broadcasters using to play DNxHD footage onair?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 20, 2014 at 3:41:12 pm

[Timothy Cervinsky] "In an effort to provide the students with a comparative workflow to what they will see when entering their chosen career, I need to know what the process is typically for taking a HD project from Avid and broadcasting it. "

Currently, I work on History Channel shows, MSNBC, NatGeo, PBS, Discovery...and recently stuff for Disney. The overwhelming delivery method is tape. Output to HDCAM or HDCAM SR tape. History, NatGeo, PBS, MSNBC all require this method.

Disney would accept a ProRes Quicktime, with 16 channels of mono audio. But also preferred tape.

Discovery is shifting to a tapeless delivery...that happens to be on tape. This is what I mean. They want a digital file delivered to them...in the OP1a MXF format, XDCAM 50Mbit. But they want it on LTO tape...that's an archive medium.

There are a few networks that take ProRes HQ files...but the majority of networks that take tapeless delivery, want this MXF OP1a type. Although most of the networks want tape.

[Timothy Cervinsky] "our plan is to export a HD project to a Blu-ray disc to play on a JVC SR-HD2500US running HD-SDI out to a TriCaster 860- if I can get the school to pay for all this."

OK...I can see that as something a school studio would do, or a local TV station. But broadcast TV doesn't do this. BluRay is not a form they accept.

[Timothy Cervinsky] "Inside of Avid we have a HD project encoded at DNxHD 145, 1080i/59.97. How would we want to export this out to disc? We are using Avid MC 7.0.4 with Sorenson Squeeze 8 (I think)."

You need BluRay authoring software, and a BluRay burner. Toast 11 does this. And you "AUTHOR" the BluRay. meaning you export a full resolution Quicktime from Avid, and take that into Toast 11 for it to be compressed to an H.264 variant that works on BluRay.

[Timothy Cervinsky] "if the OP's 48 minute project is 50Gb how are they putting a 2 hour HD movie on Bluray disc for consumers?"

That's what authoring does...it's compresses the full, uncompressed export into a compressed format that is then burned into a BluRay disc. But that is a medium that broadcasters typically don't use. Local small market stations have been known to take DVDs, and some BluRays. So if you are training for local markets...I'd ask them what they expect to receive as a final product. But on major networks, it's HDCAM, HDCAM SR, or MXF OP1a, or ProRes HQ.

[Timothy Cervinsky] "And lastly, what are broadcasters using to play DNxHD footage onair?"

They don't. They typically take the tapes and capture them into their broadcasting equipment...not sure what format it is captured as. That's too far downstream for me. Wondering if it's the MXF OP1a, as more places want that. But if you deliver tapeless, they take the tapeless QT and convert it to the codec and type that their broadcast equipment then plays out.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]