FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro - Media Composer 7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Bennet
New Mac Pro - Media Composer 7
on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:29:16 am

Hello,

I am about to start work on a feature film and production are buying gear. They want to buy:

3.7ghz Quad Core Mac Pro
12gb RAM
Dual AMD Fire Pro D300
256gb internal flash

Apple Thunderbolt Display MC914LL/B
2TB G-RAID thunderbolt drive.
Media Composer 7.

The rushes are being processed elsewhere and delivered to me synced and ready to go.

I have two queries if I may:

One is that I cannot seem to find any reports of compatibility between this precise machine and MC7. Is it not fully supported by MC7 yet? The download from AVID doesn't list the machine. I presume it will work on some level - but before the investment wanted to check here if anyone had any experiences?

The other question is that: Previously I have used display port > HDMI > Large HD Tv (using full screen mode) for external playback. Will this method work ok with the MAC pro, or could I use the HDMI output directly out?

Many thanks in advance for any support...the good folk here never fail me!

All the best
JB

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: New Mac Pro - Media Composer 7
on Mar 25, 2014 at 4:47:50 am

Straight from Avid:

We are pleased to announce support for the new Apple Mac Pro Workstation for use with Media Composer and Media Composer with the Symphony Option. These editing applications now support the new Apple Mac Pro Workstation running the Apple Mac OSX 10.9.1 (Mavericks) operating system.

Note: Mac OSX 10.9.2 is currently being tested and not approved at this time. Hopefully soon though :)

IMPORTANT: External Audio Input device required. The new Apple Mac Pro Workstations do not have an onboard audio input. A “core audio” input device is required for Media Composer to launch. A separate USB or Thunderbolt device with audio input hardware such as an Avid Mbox will be recognized as a “core audio” device by Mac OSX and must be connected. Avid is working to resolve this issue with a software patch which is expected to be released in early Q2 2014.

Software Version Requirements:
- Media Composer 6.5.4.1 or 7.0.3
- Symphony 6.5.4.1 or Media Composer 7.0.3 with the Symphony Option

Operating System Requirements:
- Mac OSX 10.9.1

System Specifications:
- 3.5 Ghz 6-core or 3.0 Ghz 8-core or 2.7 Ghz 12-core Ivy Bridge CPU with...
-- 16, 32 or 64 GB DDR3-1866Mhz ECC memory (4 DIMMs required)
-- Dual AMD FirePro D500 or D700 graphics
-- Mac OS X 10.9.1
-- A separate USB or Thunderbolt device with audio input hardware that is recognized by Mac OSX as a “Core Audio” device must be connected
Examples include:
1. An Avid Mbox
2. Apple Thunderbolt Display with monitor input
Note: Avid Mojo DX and Open I/O devices are NOT recognized by Mac OSX as a “Core Audio” devices
- Avid ISIS 1Gb and 10Gb (via a Thunderbolt expansion chassis) connections
I/O Devices tested:
- Avid Mojo DX with thunderbolt adapter- does not fulfill Core Audio device requirement
- Avid Pro Tools MBOX (USB powered) – fulfills the requirement for a Core Audio input needed for MC launch
- Promise thunderbolt storage (Pegasus Raid R4/R6 and Pegasus J4)
- Apple Thunderbolt Display with microphone input- fulfills the requirement for a Core Audio input needed for MC launch
- Sonnet Expansion Chassis:
-- Sonnet Echo Express SE II
- Magma Expansion Chassis:
-- Magma ExpressBox 1T
-- Magma ExpressBox 3T
- Sonnet and Magma Thunderbolt Expansion chassis with:
-- Atto R680 SAS adapter to Avid VideoRaid
-- Myricom 10Gb Ethernet
-- RED Rocket video accelerator

Questions, let me know.
Marianna
marianna_montague@avid.com

Return to posts index

John Bennet
on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:02:11 am

Many thanks for your reply.

Appreciate it,

best

JB

Return to posts index

Brendan Charles
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:08:05 pm

I am currently working on a new MacPro usin Avid 7. I had some issues when installing because there was no audio out driver so I had to install a virtual driver (wavtap) for avid to launch. After that, everything worked fine.

To answer your question about HDMI- I currently have a Samsung HDTV hooked up straight from the HDMI out and it is working perfect, but you could also use a display port adapter in the thunderbolt slots and it would work fine. My other two monitors are Display Port to VGA.

Return to posts index

John Bennet
on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:07:13 pm

Brendan,

Many thanks for your reply and advice.

Puts my mind at ease.

best
-Nick

Return to posts index

Alfred Ferdwell
on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:27:47 pm

Wondering - have you been able to designate that HDMI monitor as the "full size always" monitor? Using MC 7.0.3 Mac and can't get MC7 to make that happen. Any tips, TIA. Ferd.

Return to posts index

John Bennet
on Mar 30, 2014 at 10:07:16 pm

Hi

I got it work on a trial version of MC7 macbook pro - to test it.

Make sure MC is closed then connect thunderbolt to HDMI to your HDMI monitor, in my case a Sony Bravia
TV.

In system settings make sure the HDMI monitor is set to 1920 x 1080.

Then boot up MC click on full screen mode settings and move the dialogue box over to your monitor and click use this monitor.

It took a while to get it to work because I think if you don't do it in the order above it causes difficulties.

Hope this helps.

JB

Return to posts index

Gabriel Humeau
on May 15, 2014 at 6:21:42 pm
Last Edited By Gabriel Humeau on May 16, 2014 at 11:45:22 am

Brendan, could I known exactly with Mac Pro it is, because I also want to buy a Apple 3.7ghz Quad Core Mac Pro with an AMD 300 and I need it works.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]