FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression ratios? Avid resolution options

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucien Newell
Compression ratios? Avid resolution options
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:07:37 pm
Last Edited By Lucien Newell on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:10:52 pm

I'm trying to do a video mixdown in Avid before I export to Avid Dvd, and am getting some resolution options I don't really understand.

My files are currently in DNxHD 175 in 1080p. They've been rendered in Resolve from dng files.

I've seen these ratios/numbers before but never really chose them or bothered to figure them out. Can someone explain these? I'm guessing they are some kind of compression ratio? And if so what do the numbers indicate in terms of compression.

Here's what I'm seeing at the moment.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Compression ratios? Avid resolution options
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:31:40 pm

when I have made DVD's I have always encoded from the HD master file and let the encoder make the SD conversion with great results. I would then take the resulting MPEG file and author with it. I did not bother making the SD file in the NLE beforehand.

The number is the type of compression being applied compared to "uncompressed" where :1 is uncompressed. I would not go below 3:1 and then use that for DVD encoding.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Compression ratios? Avid resolution options
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:34:55 pm

You are in an SD project...thus why none of the DNxHD compressions are available...they are HD only.

1:1 means pretty much no compression. Takes VERY fast drives to play back. 2:1 is slightly compressed, but also online format.

14:1 means it's compressed to 1/14th the size...offline resolution for sure. 8:1, isn't as compressed, so it looks better, but takes up more space. 28:1 and 35:1 are VERY compressed, and very hard to judge quality. VERY pixelated, but takes up very little space. Offline codec for sure.

The "m" means it's a MULTICAM codec...DV25 is DV, DV50 is DVCPRO 50...J2K is JEPG 2000 (online format).

But yeah, these are all SD formats.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]