FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT Codecs needed for Avid MC7

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe Westley
QT Codecs needed for Avid MC7
on Mar 24, 2014 at 9:43:50 am

Hi everyone

The avid i am using only has limited codecs available when i go to export QT's. I need to add a lot more codes. I've downloaded some from the avid website but it made no difference to the options

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-Codecs-LE-2-3-9

I have another Avid which has many more codecs, is there a way i can take them from one machine and add to another?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: QT Codecs needed for Avid MC7
on Mar 24, 2014 at 11:59:37 am

The Custom options in the QT export just reflect whatever Quicktime codecs are installed on the system. The Avid QT codecs are just that, Avid JFIF and DNxHD codecs for use in Quicktime.
Generally speaking it is much smarter to export a Quicktime Reference or Quiktine Same As Source, then use a 3rd party encoding application (MC comes with Squeeze, but there are many more options). MC is not an encoding app, it just uses the QT engine that I don't think is the greatest.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Mar 24, 2014 at 12:46:03 pm

On your installation disk(or downloaded file) you should have a folder with Avid codecs LE and Avid codecs PE. Make sure the licensed version is installed, I think it's the PE, not available for download from the Avid site without logging in to your account.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 24, 2014 at 2:50:59 pm

I believe all the Avid related codecs are installed when you install Avid. You should not need to re-install them.

If it's a non-Avid codec that you think is missing and you are on a Mac, you may want to try to enable legacy codecs in QuickTime using the terminal.

See this post for details

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18075187#18075187

If you are on a PC, I have no idea how to do this or even if it's possible.

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:44:21 am

hi everyone

I've installed everything that came with avid - i've updated codecs from the QT website and fine in to the terminal as suggested but I still dont have access to anymore. I have one machine with loads and one with very limited codecs

I'll try exporting same as source and crunching in Squeeze

thanks for all your suggestions.

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:39:32 am

great thank you. Because of the burn ins and titles we use over the picture, exporting as a QT reference seems to take a long time, as long as exporting using a QT codec. exporting a 2hr film, same as source creates a huge file, which is sometime a pain because of our drive space.

I normally use compressor or Mpeg stream clip but i'll take a look at Squeeze

thanks

Zoe

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Apr 22, 2014 at 7:08:53 pm

Hi everyone

does anyone know how to install apple pro res codec on MC7 - i need to do a QT export and sending via Same as source will take 3 hours, then i would have to process via MPEG Streamclip or if i export as a QT reference it is also saying around 3hrs. If anyone knows how to install apple pro res codec, please let me know, as on previous machines I've found that to be just as quick

thank you

Zoe

Return to posts index

Jack Brown
on Mar 24, 2014 at 4:34:24 pm

Try the QT website. I remember installing them from there before.

Also, if you find where the codecs are installed on your machine it may be possible to copy them from there, as long as your are going from Mac to Mac/PC to PC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]